Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Geforce 7600 Woes - Please Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kurto

kurto

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:01 PM

Novice here trying to do my first build. Pluged in my monitior to crank it up the first time and it just says no signal. Tried monitor on another computer and it is fine. Here are the specs

GeForce 7600 GT video card
MSI K9A2 Platinum mobo
2 gigs ram

I do have it pluged into PCI 16 slot. Fan does not come on though not sure if it only does once it heats up.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again
Kurto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:36 AM

Hi Kurto, and welcome to BleepingComputer,

Are you getting any activity when you turn it on, any fans spin, LEDs come on?

Do have all of the power connections made on the motherboard, the 4-pin power connector for the CPU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:59 AM

No it comes on as soon as you get power to it. Make sure if your video card has an auxillary power slot, 4 pin molex most likely but could be 6 pin PCIe. Or it could have nothing of course. check to make sure you haven't jarred the power connector from the fan to the video card. Also if you're not getting anything to spin up when you turn on power check to make sure you plugged the power switch for the case into the right part of the mobo.

after that i would start with the video card itself, then the power supply, hook it into the other computer you mentioned and see if it works in there. From what you described I'd have to say either bad connection, bad video card, bad power supply or bad motherboard.

***Edit*** cant believe i forgot the most obvious, make sure your video card is fully seated.

Edited by smurfgod, 18 April 2008 - 07:00 AM.

#4 kurto

kurto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for the replies.

When I power up power supply, cpu fan, dvd drive all come on as well as some lights on mobo. I have the 24 pin main power plugged in. There are 2 12v power connector on my mobo (one is a 4 pin peripheral type connector and the other a 4 pin paired in sets of 2). I have plugged both in but no change. Do both need to be plugged in anyway? Not sure if the 4 pin peripheral is providing the same 12v as the 4 pin 12v connector is(this one is labeled). Not sure if the 4 pin power connector you mention is for CPU or not. I assume it is. Also, I believe card is seated all the way.

Is there any isssues with this AGP card being compatible with my mobo?

I have plugged in a 4 pin peripheral into the back of the card but no change ( have verified power in connector as same one powers up dvd drive). I would try it in my old Dell Dimension 2400 but from what I have read it wouldn't work as it has no PIC-E. Guess maybe it is bad out of the box.

I have been wearing a grounding strap and have been real careful about the whole static thing. Is there a way to tell if it got fried via static?

Thanks!

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

If you bought the AGP version of the video card then no it won't work. See if they'll exchange for the PCIe version. Nice motherboard btw :thumbsup:

#6 kurto

kurto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:50 PM

I guess that must be the problem - the card is AGP and not PCI E and since I have only PCI and PCI E slots then no worky. Crap - all those hours researching before I bought really is paying off...

Can anyone suggest a good card to get? I do moderate gaming, some video editing (light), watch movies, etc.

Thanks for all the help

#7 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

well the 7600 is fine, won't get great graphics on all the new games but they'll still work. If you have the cash 8800GT(X). I've got an 8600GT 512MB GDDR3 myself. It does really well on medium settings for most games. High settings on some. But i play in 1440x900 so if you play at a lower res you'll get better performance. price/performance tho you can't beat the 8800

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users