Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirected to some unrelated site

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CPSmurf

CPSmurf

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:51 AM

I have the same problem as brentjill. I too have a Dell with XP Media and McAffee and service pack 2, and no other antispyware software.

I ran several McAfee scans before following your suggestions. Here is a copy of my log:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 04/16/2008 at 11:08 PM

Application Version : 4.0.1154

Core Rules Database Version : 3440
Trace Rules Database Version: 1432

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:22:21

Memory items scanned : 169
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 7122
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 208606
File threats detected : 7

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\CPSmurf\Cookies\cpsmurf@www.stopzilla[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\CPSmurf\Cookies\cpsmurf@adinterax[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\CPSmurf\Cookies\cpsmurf@ad.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\CPSmurf\Cookies\cpsmurf@clickbank[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\CPSmurf\Cookies\cpsmurf@stopzilla[1].txt

Trojan.Downloader-Gen
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINSUB.XML

Trojan.TaskDir
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZLBW.DLL

I've rebooted, and am still getting the same problems.

Next step?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:14 PM

Hello I have split ypur post away from the other. Always start your own topic as your solution may be different from theirs or we may procedd at 2 different paces, hence it becomes very confusing to all posters involved,thanks. As it is your question would have stayed in their post until they answered, had I not looked.

Please proceed with the following
Please run the BitDefender Online Scanner and post the scan report in your next reply.

Follow with this Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware scan and also post a log.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 CPSmurf

CPSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for moving the post. As soon as I hit the post button, I realized that I made a boo-boo.

Before you posted I was searching for other help (on my laptop since my desktop directed me to all sorts of wibsites) and found a DELL forum post that suggested Fixwareout. I installed that and it seemed to clear everything up.

However, I've got a few questions, if you have time to ask answer them.

This is the third virus I've picked up in two years. I do video editing with the machine I have and end up downloading various items music, clips, artwork, etc. for the video I put together, so I tend to visit potentially high risk areas of the internet. I tend to do research on files that I may download (executables and such) and keep my security high and rarely accept cookies. I also use Free Download Manager to download everything that I use. I also have a small wireless network that I use for my desktop, laptop, digital music player and pocket PC.

Each time I get a virus, McAffee just sits there telling me everything is fine, no matter that I update the files or run a scan several times.

Is McAffee a good program for me? Should I get another one? Why is it that each time I have a virus, it takes different virus detection and removal programs to resolve the issue?

Thnaks for your help!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

You're very welcome.
Well you can try another perhaps it will suit your needs better. But you will have uninstall McAffee as 2 AV's will conflict and causes other issues. There are some very good free ones you can use/try here Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps. See which one works best for you.
Also
Now you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users