Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Sale Of Xp Will End

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

On April 8,2008 Microsoft Corp has announced it will end sales of XP Operating System (OS) on June 30,2008. the XP system began it's existence in October of 2001. Essentially this is a five month extension fro the previous date of eXPiration.

XP will no longer be available in stores or as a preinstalled OS after that date. I'm certain as with all the older OS's you will still be able to find some available. But it will be gone and have yielded to Vista. Not a thrill to me personally. The super low cost line of PC's will still have it for two more years. The models such as the Asus Eee PC and Intel Classmate PC will have XP Home.
System builders or small companies that build PC's from scratch can still buy until Jan. 31, 2009. Product support, including security updates, for mainstream users of Windows XP continues until April 2009.

Reuters

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:54 PM

NOOO!!! why do this when Microsoft have admitted vista was a disaster why stop it why not till 2011 a year before windows 7 should come out heaps of people need to use XP due to incompatibility's with Vista and hate it for that they need to either have something built on XP and Vista and have very little incompatibility's or THEY WILL PAY! or I will personally go up to Bill Gates and give him the finger if he dose ROFL :thumbsup:

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:54 AM

It is a bad decision. I have nothing more to say :thumbsup:

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:36 AM

I have no issues with vista so far so i dont have any complaints about it, i still have my XP disks anyway so if its ever needed i can still use it. Smaller shops will still have the access to it and you gotta only hope that by the time they fully stop XP that all the compatibility issue people are having on vista are fixed
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#5 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:35 AM

i was enquiring about buying an OQO (mini PC) with no OS pre-loaded but was told that they were not allowed to seel with out a microsoft OS, due to licensing contracts/obligations with them..

anyway, the guy on the phone told me this same story, about XP coming to an end..

i was shocked then and still am, i think it is a terrible decision.

the way i see it;

the sale of XP will end - the increased piracy will begin

#6 t0fu

t0fu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:47 AM

the sale of XP will end - the increased piracy will begin

I believe if you have an OEM license sticker for lets say Vista Ultimate on the box, you are allowed to put XP/2000/Me/98/etc on it without any breach in contract.
I'll have to find it but I remember reading something in Microsoft's EULA about downgrading, but again I could have been reading the MS software assurance package instead.

#7 Clark76

Clark76

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:14 PM

I think it is because of poor decisions by Microsoft like this one that is causing people to start looking at other OS's. The owners of Apple and the many distros of Linux have to be smiling from ear to ear.

Proud Member of ASAP

Proud Member of UNITE

#8 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

hmmm, I'll be quite sad to see it go out of sale.

I think its a terrible decision to not support XP until at least 2012. They're really going to have a lot of people annoyed that its not getting mainstream updates.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:00 AM

Do I read this right? as from April 2009 XP will NOT update?

and if XP IS to be phased out, may we have a list of basic protection programs that one knows are compatible with vista in the vista section? I presume they have created programs that ARE compatible WITH vista?
Posted Image

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum72.html????

as far as I can tell the brilliant wee stinger program is not yet compatible with it for starters

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:36 AM

Very sad to see XP go. I have a nickel that says the number of pirated copies of XP will go up between now and a few months (to a year) after June.

For me I really have nothing too much to worry about. I am a die-hard Ubuntu user. Last time I used XP on my desktop was for playing Starcraft, besides that I do everything from music, movies, Internet, and everything else on Ubuntu.

Edited by yano, 19 April 2008 - 10:37 AM.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:32 AM

I know people that have been buying up COA's that are no longer used? Think of all the emachines that died from bad motherboards and many may have taken the power supplies and cpu's with them. As long as it takes a standard atx PS and microatx motherboard
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

Well atleast the people and businesses that already have XP installed shouldn't have as many problems as people who want to build a new machine around now. The only problem the people could run into is if they loose their XP discs and their computer fails big time :thumbsup: I believe there is a campaign going on around to stop this from happening, you an find it here :flowers: (To moderators, sorry if this has breached the rules but I don't think it has?)

I know that my brother is about to buy Windows XP to install on his laptop and he would be furious if he can't get it and has to go with Vista!

David

#13 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

well if i can't get XP i really do not care i will get a pirated copy of it i just think stop the sales is stuiped and i think around a 89% i will get a Pirated copy i really do not care if i get found by the cops and fine me and throw me in jail THIS IS MADNESS MICROSOFT MADNESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:14 PM

Reminds me of a prediction, made around 1999, by Neal Stephenson in an essay entitles "In The Beginning Was The Command Line". As I recall, he predicted that Microsoft would begin to lose significant market share within 10 years.

Someone needs to buy him a beer, methinks.

As for me, well, the battle between Linus Torvalds and Bill Gates has already been fought; Linus by a knockout.

I encourage you all to do two things in the next few months:

1. Read "In The Beginning Was The Command Line"
2. Download and test out at least two Linux LiveCDs.

#15 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

Here is a nice statistic about the number of people on the Internet with each operating system: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Look at how high the XP number is, and vista is only 4% more than Linux! HA! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users