Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2000 Random Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 squall_leonhart_wi

squall_leonhart_wi

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

In the process of getting rid of some malware (Vundo, to be exact) that was on my computer and was making explorer disappear, I repaired my Windows 2000 installation, hoping that would fix the problem, as the virus and spyware programs I had run hadn't found anything up to that point. I eventually got rid of the malware (the repair didn't do it), but since the repair, I've been experiencing the dreaded plague that is random shutdowns. During the repair, it stopped on sixteen files it said were missing (from the CD, I assume), and the only options it gave were to skip the file or abort the setup. I told it to skip them all. Windows and everything else on my computer run fine, excluding these random shutdowns. They don't seem to be linked with any particular program. The amount of time from startup to the shutdown varies, but it seems to range anywhere from about 30 minutes to a day and a half. Sometimes it happens while I'm on the computer; other times it occurs while I'm not (I just return to find it at the Windows login window). Sometimes the screen goes blue and it mentions something about an error with KERNEL, others it just goes black right away. The files the setup said were missing are these:

wjview.exe
vmhelper.dll
SP2.cab (which it stopped on about 7 times)
msjdbc10.dll
msjava.dll
msawt.dll
jview.exe
javart.dll
javaprxy.dll
javacypt.dll
classes.zip
msjdbc.zip
tclasses.zip
xmldso.cab

I'm running Windows 2000 with SP4. Is there any other information that you might need? (system stats, HijackThis log, etc.) Any ideas as to what might be causing this?
"Peace at any cost is no peace at all..." - Jason Jonovic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:03 PM

Do you have the 2000 CD?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 squall_leonhart_wi

squall_leonhart_wi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:17 PM

Well...kind of. I have a legitimate copy of Windows. I got this computer sent to me a couple of years ago from my older brother, but unfortunately he didn't send his Windows 2000 CD along with it. Because of this, I downloaded two Windows 2000 disks via torrent (which I figured is fair enough, as Microsoft got their money for the Windows initially, right?), and both disks said the same thing about the files being missing. Now that I think about that, I suppose it's possible that the files were missing from my computer, rather than from the disk, but either way, the problem remains the same.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:33 PM

the bottom line is do you have a liscense and valid set of numbers for that computer?
Any kind of system file fixes will best be done from booting to the cd and it's going to want that key number

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 squall_leonhart_wi

squall_leonhart_wi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:41 AM

I indeed do have the license for the computer, as it's on a sticker on the side of the case. When I said I repaired my Windows installation, I meant I repaired it from the CDs, just as that topic says to do. It never requested my serial key, however.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:30 AM

del dbl post

Edited by DaChew, 18 April 2008 - 05:33 AM.

Chewy

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:31 AM

I never did run repair disk with W2K, I do know that most people have problems burning an iso properly and old drives and cheap media are prone to errors?

I have even had a cable be the issue

that sp2.cab is strange, the java files look like later updates than sp4 that were slipstreamed into the cab files

the bottom line is any error during a repair is bad news, just like during a clean install
Chewy

#8 squall_leonhart_wi

squall_leonhart_wi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for your reply :thumbsup: Well I doubt it's due to faulty burning, as the problems were with the same files with both versions of the disk I downloaded (I downloaded a second one because the first one showed the errors). I've also never had problems burning iso's before, and my burner continues to work flawlessly, even after all this good stuff. I just searched my computer and found that all of the files are present. Most of them are in two folders: System32 and a subfolder of it called DLLCACHE. The rest are just in the System32/Java/Classes. SP2.cab was in my i386 folder. So! since they're all present, and since many of them seem to deal with Java, I'm going to give reinstalling that a try. If it seems there are results, I'll be sure to post about it, and if there aren't, I'll try to think of something else.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

I don't understand your logic, microsoft tried to implement java support and then dropped it after a lawsuit or two and handed it back over to Sun.

google is your fiend
Chewy

#10 squall_leonhart_wi

squall_leonhart_wi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

My logic is that since some of the files that created errors in the Windows repair are associated with Java, then it's possible that by ensuring that I have the newest versions, programs that use Java won't cause errors. Now that doesn't sound like it would have a high probability of working, that is, if it weren't for the fact that as far as I remember, every time my computer shut itself down, either Firefox or Azureus was running; both of which use Java. If a dated version of a dll caused some sort of an access violation or something along those lines, then by getting the newest version of Java (as I found that I had a dated version of it anyways) it might correct those errors. Since I reinstalled Java, I haven't had any problems. I'm just going to hope it remains that way.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:40 PM

Well some java must have been slipstreamed into your cd? I suspect you've goten to the bottom of the problem tho, good work.
Chewy

#12 squall_leonhart_wi

squall_leonhart_wi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:02 PM

Well I haven't had any random shutdowns for the past few days, so I'm going to assume reinstalling Java fixed it. Thanks for always replying so quickly :thumbsup: I appreciate your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users