Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 .bLah

.bLah

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:10 PM

A few days ago, out of the blue, my internet explorer stopped working. I couldnt go to any website. Sometimes it would say "This program cannot display the webpage" and other times it would say "Action cancled" or something. Sometimes when I restart my computer it will magically work again (like right now) but most of the times it wont work. I tried it in Safe mode with Networking and it worked fine and I also tried it with all services disabled and it worked fine, except for once.
Now, after an update, Firefox is doing the same thing. Firefox gives me a "Server not found" error.

I cleaned cookies, history, cache, and all that crap. I never changed any settings and I'm the only person using this computer.
If anyone could help me fix this, please do. For now I'm going to download another browser incase IE stops working again.

Edit: Is it possible for a virus/malware/adware/whatever to infect all computers on a network from one computer? I'm wondering this because my moms/brothers computer is filled with crap from my brother.

Edited by .bLah, 17 April 2008 - 05:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

What Internet Explorer version are you using? If it is Version 7, check this Microsoft article to see if it helps...

Is it possible for a virus/malware/adware/whatever to infect all computers on a network from one computer?

Yes

Do you have any anti-virus/anti-spyware software installed? Have you scanned your computer with any of them?

Unless you already have Superantispyware, download the latest version from here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/ and scan the whole system. Make sure you get the latest updates for the program before scanning.

Also try Kaspersky Online Virus Scanner: http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

Edited by Juha, 17 April 2008 - 07:34 PM.

#3 .bLah

.bLah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:36 AM

Good news, Internet explorer seems to be working fine now on both me and my moms computer. I narrowed the source of the problem down to my router and now i just need to firgure out whats wrong with that. but thats something for later.

One problem remains, I can not access websites with firefox. I can access my routers config page and other stuff on my network but no websites work still.

I have Kaspersky Internet Security 7 but it sucks. Last time I tried a scan I ended up stopping it after 2 days.. Its soo slow. Now that I can access http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner I will scan with that and I'll also check out that SuperAntispyware.
I will edit this with results once scans are done.

Sorry for this post. My problems were simple, Kaspersky's firewall was blocking stuff when I thought it wasn't because it was disabled.
Thanks for trying to help Juha and sorry to everyone for not searching before I posted. =/

Edited by .bLah, 18 April 2008 - 07:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users