Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Delete Startup Entries

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ccte

ccte

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

I've tried to remove several startup items, but they "re-spawn" immediately. Items I've tried to remove include among others ccapp.exe (leftover from uninstalled Norton Antivirus), Spybot's TeaTimer (Spybot is uninstalled, was said to not work with McAfee, my new Antivirus), the auto-update for Java, RtHDVCpl.exe (Realtek control panel). I've tried removing the startup entries from within Windows Defender, msconfig, TUT 4.50, and I've tried deleting keys manually using regedit. The keys reappear immediately (I move the cursor to another folder in regedit and when I go back to the "Run"-folder the keys are back). I've also run CCleaner and it's tried to remove the leftovers from uninstalled Norton and Spybot - didn't work.

I'm grateful for any ideas or tips...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

Have you tried Autoruns?

#3 ccte

ccte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

@Juha. Thanks for the tip. Still not sure, but Autoruns sure provides a good overview. Cheers

#4 craneop

craneop

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

sorry,I didn't notice this was vista.

Edited by craneop, 18 April 2008 - 03:46 PM.

#5 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:41 AM

try CCleaner its a great program for cleaning up your PC and has extra features like removing startup entries and cleaning up registry problems works for me well on my PC hope it helps :huh:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

#6 ccte

ccte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

try CCleaner its a great program for cleaning up your PC and has extra features like removing startup entries and cleaning up registry problems works for me well on my PC hope it helps :huh:

Thanks; I did try CCleaner; excellent program. Didn't help, though. It finds the leftover startup entries from previously uninstalled Norton and TeaTimer (Spybot), removes them, and then the registry entry is re-entered immediately. I'm gonna look into my Antivirus and Ad-Watch (real time protection from Ad-Aware) to see if they monitor registry changes and "protect" me by unmaking any changes made in the registry.

Norton came pre-installed on the machine. WHY is it always impossible to get rid of their crap. I did run their own uninstall program, provided on their website, but of course it couldn't get rid of everything. *grumble*

Grateful for tips, as always... :huh:

Edited by ccte, 19 April 2008 - 11:18 AM.

#7 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:56 PM

Well look what i found try this it might work with your version http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42247/how-to-completely-remove-norton-security-products/ if it don't work try here http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039 i'm not sure if it will work but give it a try.

Edited by Dialga, 20 April 2008 - 10:58 PM.

#8 ccte

ccte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for your input, people. I stumbled upon the solution. Ad-Aware's "Ad-Watch" had an option activated called "Lock Start-up sections"...

Blocking Options
Lock Start-up sections: The start up (run) sections of the registry will be locked. No changes will be permitted

Embarrassing :huh: To my defence, the translation into my user language was kinda weird.

Ah, well. Thanks for the help, but I hope my problem is now sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users