Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Booting Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jakeh1322

Jakeh1322

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

This is kinda a Vista question. I already have Vista Home Premium on my computer and would like to dual boot XP on a different partition. I play mostly games. The question i am having is when i boot in xp do i need to get new drivers for my video card so forth and do i save them on the partition with xp on it? Also when i go to play a game can i just click on the drive with vista(while booted in xp) click on the shortcut to the game? or do i have to install the game again on the partition with xp. My specs are as follows

amd 64x2 4800
2 gb ddr 4200 ram (single channel)
visiontek ati 3870 512mb
320gb hd

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for a great site for idiots like me :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

For instructions on how to dual boot, you can follow this article: Install Windows XP on Your Pre-Installed Windows Vista Computer @ the How-To Geek

This article might also be of interest: Easily Set Default OS in a Windows Vista and XP Dual-boot Setup

#3 Jakeh1322

Jakeh1322
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:42 AM

Ok so i went to install xp, restarted and i got "Disk read error", "Ctrl-alt-del to restart", I researched it and found that i could download a vista recovery disk. I install the disk for my version (32bit) went to repair the startup and it says that my version of vista is not compatible with my version. I currently have the SP1 vista and im pretty sure that the version i downloaded is for the first version(whatever thats called) I have tried finding a recovery disk for the sp1 but am unable to find it anywhere. I do not have the vista disk because it came pre-installed on my HP computer. Please help i have been without my home pc for almost a week now and i need to use it. Thanks

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:33 AM

See if this Microsoft article helps: Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users