Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix Disabled My Internet Connection For Good!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cobblers

cobblers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:49 PM

I went away for a few days, and my sister clicked "Why yes, of course!" to too many things on her own PC, which now refuses to boot. After this, she moved on to my PC, and I ended up with a couple of viruses (Trojan Generic.10? and a couple of other things)

I was recommended Combofix, and it worked great, but I can't get the internet to work again, It connects to the wireless network OK, and local pages such as my router config page as A-OK, but other than that I get nothing.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the (Netgear) USB Wireless adapter, to no avail.

How exactly does ComboFix disable the internet connection?

Many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:41 PM

may one ask who 'recommended' you to use combofix?

did you not read the tutorial

combofix tutorial
and the warnings about using this powerful tool unsupervised?

did you read the combofix disclaimer?

combofix disclaimer

unless a trained expert has instructed you TO run combofix, ANYTHING can happen to the computer, including redering it completely unbootable and useless

what is the installed antivirus program and what other programs have been thrown at it?

#3 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:31 AM

dude you cant just download it and use it without instruction otherwise things like this may happen or worse

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:39 AM

I think the OP knows now that combofix should be used with caution but its happened!

Have you checked all the basic connection setting in your web browser, tried a ping test to www.google.com and see if you get a response etc?
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users