Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tips and Tricks for Windows

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:49 PM

Experts Only!

Untold Windows Tips and Secrets By Ankit Fadia

This time I have a collection of Tips and Tricks which no body normally knows, the secrets which Microsoft is afraid to tell the people, the information which you will seldom find all gathered up and arranged in a single file. To fully reap this Manual you need to have a basic understanding of the Windows Registry, as almost all the Tricks and Tips involve this file.

Important Note: Before you read on, you need to keep one thing in mind. Whenever you make changes to the Windows Registry you need to Refresh it before the changes take place. Simply press F5 to refresh the registry and enable the changes. If this does not work Restart your system.

Exiting Windows the Cool and Quick Way

Normally it takes a hell lot of time just Shutting down Windows, you have to move your mouse to the Start Button, click on it, move it again over Shut Down, click, then move it over the necessary option and click, then move the cursor over the OK button and once again (you guessed it) click.This whole process can be shortened by creating shortcuts on the Desktop which will shut down Windows at the click of a button. Start by creating a new shortcut( right click and select New> Shortcut). Then in the command line box, type (without the quotes.)

'C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindowsexec'

This Shortcut on clicking will restart Windows immediately without any Warning. To create a Shortcut to Restarting Windows, type the following in the Command Line box:

'c:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows'

This Shortcut on clicking will shut down Windows immediately without any Warning.

I found this on the web a long time ago, and I had it saved on my hard drive in my documents and I decided that someone may find something in here useful. :thumbsup:

Moderator's note: I've edited out the rest of this article to prevent a possible copyright infringement. Please don't reproduce entire articles unless you have written them yourself or have written permission from the author. The rest of this article can be found here:
http://teddy.fcc.ro/tips/UntoldTipsAndSecrets.html

Edited by Papakid, 27 March 2005 - 12:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xposemncz

xposemncz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:51 PM

Hi,

You can type the text in notepad and save it as a .bat file so that there is no need for you to type the command.

#3 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:36 PM

Another way, if you have your windows key enabled, or even have one. You can hit the following keys:
Windows
U
then U again to shutdown

If you use win 2K (like me), then hit
Windows
U
Enter, or Return
Although, win 2k depends on what option is selected in the pull down box.

#4 Sp1d3r

Sp1d3r

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:19 AM

If i try this is there a chance of failer? Because my dad will kill me if i mess up another computer.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

There's always a chance of messing something up when you go into the registry.

Best advice when dealing with the registry:
If you don't know exactly what you're doing, STAY OUT!!
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Sp1d3r

Sp1d3r

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:52 PM

There's always a chance of messing something up when you go into the registry.

Best advice when dealing with the registry:
If you don't know exactly what you're doing, STAY OUT!!

DAMN! *cries* How do i find out what im exactly doing? And if i do, do it then is there away to delete it without messing up?

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:03 PM

Unless you are very computer competant, stay away from registry changes. And ALWAYS ALWAYS make a backup before you do anything to the registry.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 morris

morris

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:48 PM

Alpha_Blue wrote:
Question: Sometimes I just push the button until the comp goes off-is this bad/does it delete memory or wear down the comp?
Also, is that command secret thing bad for memory too?

This IS bad, VERY VERY BAD DONT DO IT!

When windows is in use, an example of why it would be bad is its feature called delayed write. Recently saved a file? It isnt placed to disk when you ask it, it is queued for later I guess this would be interupted if killed violently with your old fashed shutdown technique!

Files are open, the system is writing to the disk, .. something will go wrong.

An example would be, while booting up pull power out.

Start up again and pull power out during startup.

I could corrupt files like this on my old 486, io.sys would get hammered mostly and cause the system to no longer boot. This will happen to modern PCs too.

(discovered when trying to perform some maintenance task needing sudden reboots, Overclocking p3's would be a good example)
If you get the time check my links below:

http://www.turntablism.info - music forum
http://www.qwertyhosting.com - affordable, reliable and secure hosting
http://www.tikka-d.co.uk - information regarding reverse engineering and lots of external links

#9 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:08 AM

to make the shortcut in windows XP you can also do this:
1. Right click on an open area of the desktop
2. Select New / Shortcut
3. Enter in "shutdown -s -t 00" - no quotes
4. Press the Next button
5. For the name, enter in anything you like. I just use shutdown. Click on the Finish button.

for more commands go to http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#shutdown

#10 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:28 AM

Alpha_Blue wrote:
Question: Sometimes I just push the button until the comp goes off-is this bad/does it delete memory or wear down the comp?
Also, is that command secret thing bad for memory too?

This IS bad, VERY VERY BAD DONT DO IT!

When windows is in use, an example of why it would be bad is its feature called delayed write. Recently saved a file? It isnt placed to disk when you ask it, it is queued for later I guess this would be interupted if killed violently with your old fashed shutdown technique!

Files are open, the system is writing to the disk, .. something will go wrong.

An example would be, while booting up pull power out.

Start up again and pull power out during startup.

I could corrupt files like this on my old 486, io.sys would get hammered mostly and cause the system to no longer boot. This will happen to modern PCs too.

(discovered when trying to perform some maintenance task needing sudden reboots, Overclocking p3's would be a good example)

Pressing the power button on my PC initiates a normal shutdown, I do it quite often. I disagree that is like pulling the plug.

#11 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:27 PM

He was talking about pushing and holding the button down, and not letting windows shut down, beforehand.

#12 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:15 AM

Ah, sorry, I missed that. In that case it would be a bad thing, it definitely can corrupt the partition doing that.

#13 seven11fondue

seven11fondue

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:37 PM

is there a way of doing the same thing except for logging out for xp?

#14 memutt

memutt

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:38 AM

In the original article mentioned -
Untold Windows Tips and Secrets By Ankit Fadia -

near the end of the article this is refered to

"Some systems have the floppy disk disabled through the BIOS. On those systems if
the BIOS is protected, you may need to crack the BIOS password. (For that Refer
to the Windows Hacking Chapter). "

anyone know where I can get this info. I have a pain in the butt nephew who go alittle pissed at me and added a password to the bios. when I restart my system and hit f10 it now askes for a password where I am sure it didn't before. Is there information in the above mentioned chapter which will help me?

thanks for any info.

Memutt

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:26 PM

Open the case and either pull thebatery for 1 minute or remove the J7 jumper on the motherboard for one minute. If you ever wondered why a hasp was but on acomputer case this is the reason.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users