Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search And Recovery 3.0

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike P.

Mike P.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:26 AM

I recently purchased Search and Recover 3d from a third party. I tried several times to install the programme from CD and am running XP Home. The programme appeared to install, but most of the time it could not be opened either from the desktop icon or Programmes. On the odd attempt to open the programme, a window opened with following "NT_read error; error no. 1167; drv 129, LBA 0, blocks 1; Abort, Retry or Ignore".

If I clicked on Ignore, the programme would open and appeared to be useable, but the fact this error window opened made me believe the programme had not loaded correctly. If it has loaded correctly, I wouldn't want all this difficulty opening it each time I wanted to use it.

I tried loading it in Safe Mode; the window opens and after clicking on Ignore, the programme will open. If the PC is then turned off and back on again however, the window no longer opens and the programme cannot be opened.

I phoned the vendor and explained the problem and was sent a second CD. Unfortunately there is no difference.

This is the first time I have experienced such a problem when loading a programme, and I have more than five years experience with my current PC system.

Firstly I scanned my hard drive with a reputable third party utility, which found no problems.

I then scanned it (a Seagate product) with Seagate's own Windows hard drive diagnostic software and again no problems were found. This diagnostic involved five different types of scan, including every sector on the drive.

Finally, I scanned it with Seagate’s DOS version of their hard drive diagnostic software, which would report on any faulty sector, and no faults were reported.

As an experiment, I have also downloaded the trial version of Search and Recover 4.0 from your web site, which loaded and opened without problems. Why should version 4.0 load and open properly and not version 3.0?

I would appreciate any help with overcoming this NT-error 1167 issue. I believe it means a device is not connected. I thought it may be that I hadn't switched on my external HD, but this made no difference either, so I have no idea which device it is referring to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

Did you try the trial version before buying 3.0? Uninstall the program. If the program has an uninstaller use that. If not, use Add/Remove Programs.
Then download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Open it and if there's anything referring to the program, check the box and run the utility. Then try installing it again and see what happens
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Mike P.

Mike P.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:29 AM

Firstly a correction. When I said I downloaded the trial version of Search and Recover 4.0 from 'your' web site, I of course meant the manufacturer's web site.

Hello garmanma. No I didn't download the trial version of S and R 3.0 before purchasing it. I already have Windows Installer Cleanup Utility on my PC, but I'm afraid S and R 3.0 doesn't appear in it.

The manufacturer has at last replied to me and told me to download the programme from their web site and install that rather than installing from CD. Unfortunately I had by now already tried that and that version will not open either!
I have now asked them why their version 4.0 will open on my PC but not version 3.0.

#4 VerumSeeker

VerumSeeker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

Firstly a correction. When I said I downloaded the trial version of Search and Recover 4.0 from 'your' web site, I of course meant the manufacturer's web site.

Hello garmanma. No I didn't download the trial version of S and R 3.0 before purchasing it. I already have Windows Installer Cleanup Utility on my PC, but I'm afraid S and R 3.0 doesn't appear in it.

The manufacturer has at last replied to me and told me to download the programme from their web site and install that rather than installing from CD. Unfortunately I had by now already tried that and that version will not open either!
I have now asked them why their version 4.0 will open on my PC but not version 3.0.

Did you ever find the root cause? I am getting the same error. Am pretty sure that it is not the program as Partition Manager is also failing for me. Am pretty sure that it is not my hard drive as I set up a second hard drive and had the same problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users