Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"operation Failed"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:03 AM

The printer was installed. Now there is nothing in the window for the printers. Not even that default one that no one understands.

Anyway, the Compaq was not performing well, so after troubleshooting and then removing spyware.apropos.c, I went to the printer folder to install the printer that was installed prior to all the "fun". That wasn't the only problem with the pc, but it was the most significant. It blocked viewing other folders.

When "Add New Printer" is clicked, an "Operation Failed" message appears.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Cass

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

I'd try running sfc /scannow, on the premise that vital system files may have been damaged either via the malware or during the removal.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

Thanks. I will try that ASAP.

The Compaq had a spyware detection program on it since the box, but it didn't stop this spyware.

Maybe it didn't stop others, as well?

Cass

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,442 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

Well, there is no one program that prevents/removes everything.

If you think that you are infected, I suspect that you ought to post at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

The personnel there will be able to clarify that doubt in your mind :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

I'm fairly confident that I am not infected. However, this is not my pc and I've run several programs thus far to ensure that it is not infected. The spyware detector on this did not catch any of the items caught by AVG. The computer is running much faster and more logically than before. I am doing what I can to avoid a format and install of the hard drive.

The Compaq technicians were awesome in determining why SP2 would not install. I was very pleased with their assistance. Now, we've taken care of the little problems, so I'm working on the rest.

This pc is not used often or for anything weird or strange, so the fact that it is infected at all by anything boggles my peabrain.

I am going to the scannow site mentioned.

Thanks.

#6 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

I'd try running sfc /scannow, on the premise that vital system files may have been damaged either via the malware or during the removal.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

I cannot access the server to download the program. I've used two computers; neither will connect to the server.

Is the site experiencing problems?

Cass

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,442 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

Nothing to download, it's a part of Windows.

That link (I just checked, it worked for me) is info on how to use the sfc /scannow command to search/replace in a system.

If that link doesn't work for you, just do a Google using "sfc /scannow" as the key phrase. Lots of info out there.

Louis

#8 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

When I clicked the link, there was a large "download now" button, so I figured it was a download.

I didn't read the small print.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users