Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry "error Editing Value"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AbuRaouf

AbuRaouf

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:13 AM

Hi,
I'm trying to install Outpost Firewall Pro as an admin on my WIN XP Pro SP2. As I'm running avast it requests me change the start value for aswtdi in the registry manually to 4. On my laptop that worked fine (Win XP Home SP2) but it doesn't work on my desktop at all. Registry is coming back by a smart window "Eror editiing value" and won't allow me to modify the value.

Any ideas? I'm done for now, but I need the firewall.

Thanks guys...

and now I just discovered that I cannot change my local security policies either.
'failed to safe', what is going on ?

Edited by KoanYorel, 17 April 2008 - 06:55 AM.
to merge posts

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hello.

The service was probably running at the time you tried to change it. You first need to stop the service.

I assume the service name is aswtdi ?
  • Copy this code onto a notepad:

@ECHO OFF
    sc stop aswtdi
    sc config aswtdi start=disabled
    exit
  • Click File, Save as.
  • Under the Save as Type dropdown, select All files.
  • Name it disableservice.bat and save it onto your desktop.
Run this script when you are suppose to change the registry value.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 AbuRaouf

AbuRaouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:24 AM

Hi Panda,
don't know if that actually did any good.
I executed the script, installed Outpost (which doesn't verify the change to the registry, one has to manually confirm the change) and kept using it. Just the script doesn't modify the registry nor can I modify it once the script has been used, so I don't think this will solve my issues, as the aswtdi-start parameter is still set like before and according to Outpost this is likely to cause trouble later.

I actually have to modify this registry entry, as the aswTdi-driver is not compatible with Outpost as per the Outpost forum (http://outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22529) and requires to be permanently switched off. So the problem is still the same:

HOW CAN I STORE EDITS TO MY REGISTRY ???

Now I uninstalled Outpost again, as it wouldn't give me any internet access anymore, even if I stop it / shut it down. No access for FireFox, Outlook Express, avast update or anything, only for itself and I cannot figure out why. Can't stop aswtdi once it is loaded.

Thanks for now, problem persists.

Anyone a clue about the security policy? That's also p... me off :thumbsup:

Edited by AbuRaouf, 19 April 2008 - 07:38 AM.

#4 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:39 AM

Hello again.

I didn't notice that your antivirus was what told you to change the registry value.

Sorry, but I can't help you with removal of malware. You will have to post in the Am I Infected, or Malware Removal forum.

With Regards,
The Panda

#5 AbuRaouf

AbuRaouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:40 AM

Panda,
actually it is the Outpost Firewall requesting that the avast network shield shouldn't be running at the same time.
I don't think that's malware related, but you are probably right, my registry might be blocked by some malware crap going on.

I will place a post in that section, hopefully I'll get something.

Thanks again

#6 AbuRaouf

AbuRaouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:48 AM

Ok, I got my hands on this one. I have been able to edit the registry in safe mode and do the required modification (different privileges?). So now I have my firewall back up and running, that's a nice step forward.

Just still I cannot modify the registry or any 'local security policy' being Admin, this should be re-activated somehow, somewhere, someday...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users