Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Antivirus... Hiding Trojan

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tazliegh

tazliegh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:32 AM

I have fixed everything down to completely removing this from my comp. It is still there haunting me. How do I get rid of it???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:17 AM

it might help if you tell us what the 'everything' is you have apparently already fixed and with what tools? is system restore turned on?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:53 AM

Then please read thru this BC self help tutorial

How to remove XPAntiVirus (Removal Instructions)

Let us know how things go.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 tazliegh

tazliegh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

I have regcure and pc cleaner. I have removed explorer 7 from my computer... that is haw I was able to get to my files etc. ps cleaner scans and deletes files every day so far. I have removed programs in add remove programs. The system restore... or last good config has not been working but I have not tried since removing explorer 7 from my computer. The xp antivirus popups still come on every ten minutes or so I just close them. Hope that is enough info.

thanks

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:29 AM

Did you follow the instructions provided by boopme in the above link "How to remove XPAntiVirus (Removal Instructions)"?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 tazliegh

tazliegh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

i am gonna start right now thanks

#7 tazliegh

tazliegh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

:trumpet: this is where I was and now... :inlove: thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :flowers: It is now gone from my computer!!! :huh: :huh: thanks so much for your help!

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:33 PM

Excellent and you are welcome from all of us here at BC!! :thumbsup:

Now you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
Also please take a moment to read
How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!
Best Practices - Internet Safety For 2008
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users