Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Log Into One Account, Laptop Won't Connect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pj29340

pj29340

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

Wow; where do I start. We cannot log in at all to one account and the laptop won't connect to the internet. On this account I can't connect to IE but can to Firefox, although it doesn't pull up my home page.
I have lost all ability to watch video and no volume to my speakers. The START icon is not even appearing ! I can't log off; I have to just turn the computer off.
I would appreciate anyone that help or point me in the right direction. Should I just take it to someone ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:56 AM

Hi pj29340,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

There many things going on. It might be infection or system problems. How long you have this problem? I would start with this:
  • The first thing I would try is to use system restore to restore to an earlier point.
  • If it didn't help. Use Windows file protection. To do that go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in: [b]sfc /scannow[b]
    It may takes a while (usually around 20 min). It checks the integrity of Windows system files and if needed replaces that. You may need your Windows installation CD.
  • Rule out the possibility of infection. Start a topic in another forum on Bleeping Computer Am I infected? What do I do?

Good luck!

#3 pj29340

pj29340
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:29 PM

Thank you so much. I have started a new thread.

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:45 AM

You are welcome. At the same time doing the first two steps doesn't do any harm. Except for if you started a topic at HijackThislog and Malware Removal forum, in that case you should not do any system changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users