Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio, Who Needs It?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nevelangeninebreaker

nevelangeninebreaker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

Well, here's the story my friends...
I am living with a Windows XP, the audio device I use is NVIDIA nforce. My audio isn't working whatsoever. Everything is plugged in properly, everything is in place. I don't know how to check if I even have an audio sound card installed in the computer. If anyone knows how to check that, i'd love the tip. It would also be great to know a FREE way to get my sound up and running again, if that isn't to much to ask. I can tell you this much, when I go to Run>services.msc>Windows Audio, the program is working and says "started."

Before I do the little bit of advice, "Reinstall XP", I would really like to have an alternative and even find out if I have a sound card inside the computer in the first place.

Please help, you have no idea how much it would be appreciated!

P.S

To be more specific, under sound, video and game controllers I have this:

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
NVIDIA nforce Audio Codec Interface
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

They are all in working condition. However, they don't work...-sigh-

(Note that I didn't list the drivers under this category that didn't involve audio)

Edited by nevelangeninebreaker, 16 April 2008 - 10:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:36 AM

The easiest part of your question, if you open the case and look at the motherboard the bottom slots (usually bottom left and white in color) are your PCI slots If nothing is plugged into them with speaker/mic jacks on it then you have onboard sound which most people do unless they add in a sound card later.

Now we need clarification on a few things. First and foremost i'm understanding it as your sound was working and then stopped working? Second need you to look in your device manager (Start>control panel>system>hardware>device manager) and see if you have any yellow or red marks next to anything.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

...I'll just add an inquiry into your system manufacturer and model...or, if custom-built, the motherboard manufacturer & model.

There's a good tool that will provide plenty of info about your system. You can download it, click on the .exe, wait a few seconds and read all sorts of info about your system, including your sound support.

SIW System Information for Windows - http://www.gtopala.com/

Did you receive a drivers CD/DVD of any sort with your system/motherboard? If so, chances are that it will install any needed drivers automatically, if you insert it into a CD/DVD drive...that may solve your situation.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 April 2008 - 10:25 AM.

#4 TechCow

TechCow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

Hmm, it could be a number of things. Do you know for sure that your speakers are working? It sounds dumb, but is worth checking because sometimes these simple things cause massive headaches.

While I do think that reinstalling windows will probably fix your problem if you are certain all your hardware is working correctly there is actually a good guide here with some detailed tips on troubleshooting audio configuration issues. Might be worth a look, before you end up having to reinstall your OS.

http://www.cpusolutions.com/html/TechCente...ral/noaudio.htm

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:40 PM

One more thing to try:
1. Click Start and then Run.
2. Type dxdiag in the box and click Ok. Then, please click Yes.
3. This will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window.
4. Click Music tab and then click TestDirectMusic and then you should hear a music coming from the system. Click Ok to discontinue the music.
5. Click Sound tab and then click TestDirectSound and then click Yes and now you should hear a sound coming from the computer.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users