Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Music File Authentication Failure

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Treloar

Bill Treloar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:00 PM

Some time ago, I bought a song online - it's in WMA format. (It's one of very few music files that I've purchased, so I remember it.)

Now, playing it in Musicmatch Jukebox, it aborts after several seconds with the error: "Your Musicmatch licensed tracks need authentication. Please connect to the Internet then try again"

The problem, is, I AM connected to the Internet, but don't know what else to do.

How do I prove I've bought rights to this song?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Bill

Edited by Bill Treloar, 16 April 2008 - 08:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,413 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

Those rights should be updated automatically whenever such is needed (using MMJB).

What version of MMJB are you using?

A copy of the original authentications should have downloaded to the same folder you stored the music file in when purchased.

Check the configuration settings for MMJB.

Louis

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:01 AM

Hi Bill Treloar,

Welcome to Bleeping computer.

You may also make sure your firewall is set to allow Musicmatch Jukebox to connect to internet. To check the authentication Musicmatch Jukebox should be able to get through the firewall.

Edited by farbar, 17 April 2008 - 05:04 AM.

#4 Bill Treloar

Bill Treloar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:26 PM

Thanks!!

Ijust checked my firewall and it had two copies of MMJB -- I deleted one. the one I left has Internet access allowed.

I'm running MMJB version 10.00.4033.

I had no idea authentication was a separate file. I've moved the WMA file from the download folder to one of my reguloar music folders. I've probably deleted any separate file I didn't recognize. Any recovery from that?

As for MMJB configuration, I don't know what to check. This is the only song I've ever bought online (everything else is ripped from CDs I own or vinyl records I've dubbed to tape. If this authentication thing is common with purchased music online, I'm unlikely to buy any more.

What configuration options apply?

Do I need to repurchase this song?

Thanks,
Bill

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,413 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:20 PM

OK...I have the same version of MMJB and I have several purchased music files to play with.

I just tried to play one where I know that I destroyed the license/authentication (because I burned them all to CD as .mp3s once I bought them). What happened is that I received notification that DRM was operative, had to connect to Internet, etc. The particular song I purchased was acquired from WalMart.

Within 60 seconds I received a notification with prompts, telling me that the license is restricted to one system and the licenses are not on this system :thumbsup:. This included a blurb about moving licenses from one system to another,with a button for facilitating such.

DRM has been prevalent for some time...an attempt to enforce control over the reproduction of music.

I can't tell you anything else.

Louis

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

I can't tell you much either at this stage. If you have tried again after removing the one with restriction from your firewall and still you can't acquire the license it is hard to say what next, except perhaps you contact the site you have purchased it from.

#7 Bill Treloar

Bill Treloar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

MMJB continues to tell me to connect to the Internet anmd try agaoin -- as if it can't tell I'm conne3cted to the Internet. The fact tat I'm writing this to you is proof menough to mme that I'm on the Internet ... Puzzled.

#8 Bill Treloar

Bill Treloar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:59 PM

Looks like MMJB was taken over by Yahoo, then abandoned. I've entered my key, which is supposed to entitle me to all future upgrades to MMJB, and it's granted me provisional status until my key can be validated.

It looks like MMJB is an orphaned product. What do you recommend as a replaement?

And if I get a new player, will all the tags I entered for my music in MMJB still remain and work?

Distressed.

#9 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

The fact that you get connected (outside MMJB) does not mean MMJB should get pass through Internet. Or the site/link MMJB tries to connect to does not exist any more. Have you tried to play it with WMP?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,413 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:58 PM

MMJB has been abandoned for some time now...that has nothing to do with what I described. Orphaned or not, it still functions and there is no reason to abandon using it...unless you want to change.

As for tags...those tags and filenames remain until you change them, regardless of program used to play them.

This feature (ability to change either easily) is one reason I continue to use MMJB for playing music.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users