Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Necessary To Upgrade Bios Before Upgrading Ram?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:27 PM

I just bought more RAM to upgrade my computer. The seller had a notice saying "We recommend you upgrade your computer to the latest BIOS revision prior to upgrading your memory". Should I do this and if so how? Also, is low density RAM superior to high density? And what does nyone think about Microx brand memory? Partspc.com has really good prices on Microx, but I don't know anything about this brand. Is brand important for memory?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

IMO :thumbsup:....

<<"We recommend you upgrade your computer to the latest BIOS revision prior to upgrading your memory">>

Theoretically, could be valid notification, although I believe that most BIOS updates are written to either facilitate added functionality or eliminate known hardware problems. I've never thought of adding RAM as either of those, but I've been wrong before :flowers:.

<<Should I do this and if so how?>>

No, unless there is something to be gained by it. Each BIOS update/upgrade has a spiel which defines exactly what changes are made and why. If you determine that one of those fits your situation, then (and only then) you should consider upgrading/updating your BIOS.

<<Also, is low density RAM superior to high density?>>

Good question...I don't think of it as "superior" but I do know that more systems run routinely with low-density RAM. More info following.

info What is the Difference Between Low Density and High Density vs Low Density - http://www.overclock.net/faqs/113885-info-...ow-density.html

<<And what does nyone think about Microx brand memory?>>

I hope that you meant "Micron" but you may mean Micro X. I've never heard of Micro X until just 30 seconds ago, but Micron is a reputable memory maker.

<<Is brand important for memory?>>

Hmmm...kind of depends on system and type of memory. In the day of PC133 and before that...I would have said "No, brand doesn't matter" but now I have to hedge that opinion. The low-density, high-density thing and specs for motherboards seem be much more particular on what RAM is used today, IMO. And, of course, we have so many types of memory that it's important to buy the modules dictated by the system motherboard specs or motherboard manual.

I would advise anyone...to get the best possible memory for the system today. Prices allow this now, it's good to eliminate/minimize things which can go wrong in the future and which are so critical to enjoying using a computer :trumpet:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 April 2008 - 06:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users