Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For A Good Pc Repair Course

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 compudon

compudon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

I am searching for a good pc service and repair correspondence course to teach me enough to pass the A+ exam and make some money. I tried Foley-Belsaw but the info was ten years old!!! Then I got some info on Ashworth University but their course is based on a book by Mike Meyers called A+ cert course. Ashworth U. couldn't answer any questions and I found out their operators are paid to sign people up (red flag).

I'm wondering if it is just as good to purchase a few good A+ cert books and study them. It is cheaper than the $700 most courses cost.

Sorry I had to list this in this forum. I didn't see a forum for educational info.

Here's the A+ books I've seen:

http://www.amazon.com/Certification-All-On...8449&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Upgrading-Repairing-...h/dp/0789727455

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/07897...howViewpoints=1

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/15986...howViewpoints=1

The last one has the best reviews and seems to be the most complete.

If there is a better forum for this to be in please let me know.

Thank You

Edited by garmanma, 22 April 2008 - 04:54 PM.
Moved to appropiate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

books probably aren't going to beat a class, seeing as a class will probably deal hands on, which will definitely help more in that area.

I don't know that much about computer repair to give you advice, but I would go for the class, personally.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:55 AM

if you ever learned to drive, im sure you did it in a car, not a book..

see the logic?

as good as the books may be for details, which will come in handy, there really isnt anything that beats actually having a go..

(another point to make is the fact that you may not have the resources to learn with, in terms of PCs and or hardware... if you did, it would be your responsibility to pay for anything that may get damaged during the learning process, where as do it as part of a course, then they will have insurance for that type of thing...

also if trying to learn about fixing a certain thing, you would need to have things set in certain scenarios... which you may not know how, they would)

im not a salesman for any of these training companies by the way..

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:59 PM

Take some time to check out the training situation. I was given a grant by the state for taking classes and the "school" was a joke. Luckily I was able to get what I needed from the course but there are a some places just wanting to take your money and plop you in front of a computer monitor, which isn't much better than a book.

You need a combination of hands-on and book knowledge. Start collecting old computers and take them apart and check out the insides. You will be amazed at what you can teach yourself.

Then, try and find a computer shop or geek that will give you the assistance you need.

Good luck.

DR

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

How I learned about computers was a lot just trying it hands on (besides a lot of help from this forum and other websites). I remember reading about the different parts and got interested so I started out with small things like taking the ram out. Then one day I got into it and before I knew it my whole computer was in pieces on my floor :thumbsup: . Luckily for me I didn't ruin anything, but it really helped me the most learning the different connections and what not. Also, while doing this I would get the occasional computer screw up and this helped me learn how to fix computers too.

One day for instance, I was blowing the dust out of a computer and afterwards it wouldn't do anything except bring up a weird amber light on the HDD indicator. I kept seeing if I broke the processor or something, but after a while I just tried tightening all the connections and then it started working! I was so relieved! Now I know to always check to make sure the cables are all secure.

As rigacci said, you should look into some getting some older computers and just messing around with them. Maybe you could get some computers that have compatible parts and you could try switching them out.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:45 AM

Go to a computer tech store, and ask them if they can teach you/provide a course for you to take..?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users