Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non Ms-update Method To Locate Usb Drivers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Artulyn

Artulyn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

I recently purchased an Adata PD17 2G flash drive, it was supposed to work with both Win98 and XP. I was able to get Win98 drivers from the company's website, but they insisted that XP had the required drivers. I've found that whenever I plug it in I get "unknown device" icon in the device manager instead of a disk drive icon. Like I did with my late, great PNY 1G flash drive. I haven't run update since Oct 2004 when I got rid of my ISP to keep my nephews from infecting my computer with stuff while web surfing.

I've spent hours poking around the Microsoft website but everything I've found requires that the computer be hooked up to the internet. Is there an alternate way of downloading the USB updates I need to a disk to install offline? Or do I have sign up for a trial service to get the flash drive working?

Actually now that I think about it, it's never been updated, the hard drive died in Nov 2006 and I did a fresh install of XP on another drive and never bothered updating it since there was no longer a security risk. It's WinXP build 2600 IIRC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

Does it show in Disk Management? Has it been formatted?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Artulyn

Artulyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:59 PM

It works perfectly on the library computers and I've already stored info on it. I just can't access it from my home computer. I shows up under USB devices when it's recognized. I haven't checked to see if it shows up under drives. There is a formatting software tool on the Adata website but I'm pretty sure it's just for Win98. I'll double check on that though. Either way this is damn inconvient. I'm still not sure how to get it 'activated' without an ISP. I'm trying to remember if it'll dial an 800 number or not, it's been six years since I first installed it.

I did find an accidental work-around. Yesterday I installed updated Iomega drivers for my USB Zip-100 drive and after using it I tried the flash drive in the same spot. Nothing happened until I pulled it out, then I got a message about "Appsvr" or something like that needing to be shut down. I got curious and plugged it back in before telling it not to send a message to Microsoft. It then recognized the flash drive. I've been able to repeat this and after rebooting if I pull it out and plug it back in a few times it's recognized. Go figure. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users