Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Gone Nuts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JCarollo

JCarollo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

Hi guys I hope you can solve my problem. I have a dell laptop latitude D410 and recently my keyboard has gone haywire. I will type in a letter and it will type fhtyr or 123dcdye(or anything random) and open and close windows. I recently had to buy an external keyboard so i can actually use my computer. I'm a college student and this has really been a big problem for me. Im not able to take it anywhere now. I have Norton 360 and it doesn't detect anything its really frustrating. My friends said you guys are the best. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 16 April 2008 - 07:08 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

So it works fine with the external keyboard? If it does, you can rule out a virus. There is no driver for the keyboard, just 2 for the touchpad. All I can think of is to take it apart and check the connection.
In the short-term, you could get one of THESE
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:03 AM

Mine acted like that when I spilt beer over it, i took it apart and cleaned it, n thankfully it works now :thumbsup:

#4 JCarollo

JCarollo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:28 PM

Sorry I haven't responded. I thought it would tell me I had a personal message. So it can't be a virus? I have never spilled anything on my keyboard before. I reset my keyboard settings and it fixed for about a minute then when right back to being wacky. Like I try typing and it will close windows and type commas. semicolons, and random letters.

#5 Connor!

Connor!

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

Normally with that kind of problem, it is usually with the keyboard. Since you haven't spilt anything on it or seemed to have damaged it in any way we can rule out that. Try an online Virus scan, just incase. I use Trend Micro Housecall occasionaly to scan my system, you can find it HERE.
Delete all your Cookies and Temporary internet files if you haven't already.

It could also be someone accessing your computer with another device, usually with bluetooth or wifi. Turn off any built in bluetooth or wifi devices and unplug any external devices, do you have the same problem?

I really can't think of any other possible reasons why it is doing this..Is it all the time or just occasionaly?

Connor

Edit: It's worth a try seeing if it still does it in Safe Mode, if you don't know how look HERE.

Edited by Connor!, 21 April 2008 - 03:23 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks Shaba! :)

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:35 PM

In another thread concerning keyboards, it was suggested to replace the system board battery. That solution worked for them
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 JCarollo

JCarollo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:55 AM

I had this problem earlier and when I reformatted my computer it came back like two weeks later. I didn't have the problem in safe mode, it worked properly. Believe it or not today it just started to work again, I didn't change a thing. I have norton 360 and did the trend micro and it shows no viruses. What do you think actually happened??? I'm just worried it might come back. Thank you for the quick responses, you guys are the best.

#8 Connor!

Connor!

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:31 AM

If it does, you can rule out a virus.

If Trend Micro or Norton doesn't detect it, then I think it's pretty safe to assume that. You also say external keyboards work fine

I know it sounds silly, but try muting your mic ;) You'd be amazed at the amount of people this has happened to and they found out they had their voice recognition on.

Make sure you have no shortkeys or anything similar. If you do turn them all off or change the shortkey.

If not then you can wait for others to reply and let them help you, but if I was you by now I would take it to a repair shop. It sounds as if it a problem with the keyboard, and I wouldn't recomend trying to fix a laptop keyboard yourself.

Connor
Posted Image
Thanks Shaba! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users