Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got rid of Cool-Web-Search

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ingallsrobert

ingallsrobert

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:01 PM

Every Time I tried to boot from the hard disk (normal in F12), I got
the message "Missing Operating System". I tried to reinstall Windows xp to recover from the StartPage-DU trojan or another
virus infection by running setup from the CD Service pack 1a. Setup would proceed only to the recovery console. If Im pressed
Enter to install windows error message "Cannot read hard disk". It would not list partitions on which to install Windows. Setup would fail.
When I tried to copy the setup file "ntldr" from E:\i386 to create a boot section on the partition, Access was denied by the read
only attribute on the E:\i386 files. I could not remove the
read onl attribute using the ATTRIB command in the recovery Console. FIXMBR and FIXBOOT commands also failed. CHKDSK showed
several "unrecoverable problems" with disk 0,
I finally reinstalled Windows 98 from the CD from my old computer. When it came to formatting the disk, Windows 98 used
Scan Disk to fix the problem. It found a 65,000 kb file on the hard
drive, and I had Scan Disk remove it. When I asked windows 98 to format the Disk, from the only partition containing the boot sector,
it did and formatted the disk using FAT32 file system. I then reinstalled Windows xp
but I could not create a separate partition on which to install. So it installed it on the same partition as Windows 98 but would not use
NTSF file system, only FAT32. But, at least I have
Windows xp reinstalled. It overwrote windows 98. I suspect that the 65,000 kb file on the hardisk was preventing the operating system
from being recognized, and it might be a virus. What do you think?
I lost all my files, documents and email address book, but at least I can email and access the internet. This took me about
a week. System Restore, Back up, and the recovery console were all of no help. Boot from
Last Known Good Configuration all did not work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:19 PM

Sounds more like data corruption to be honest. Do a full defrag on your hard drive including disc consistency check to see if there any bad sectors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users