Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crazy URL problem!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cyman1964uk

cyman1964uk

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:53 PM

Guys I would appreciate any views on this ...

I have a URL which points to a page on my own website.

Let’s suppose it is called http://www.mysite.com/page.html

If I open Internet Explorer (IE) manually and type the URL directly into the address bar and hit ‘Go’, the correct page loads into IE as expected.

However, if I type the URL into a Word (or Excel, etc) document, so that it naturally turns into a hyperlink (turns blue as above) and then I click on the link, I would expect the following three things to happen:

1. IE to open
2. The URL to appear in the address bar
3. The page to appear

The trouble is that only the first 2 of these happen. I get the message “The page cannot be displayed” within the body of IE. HOWEVER, if I refuse to give up hope and then click on ‘Go’ next to the address bar, the page loads up! It’s as if the click on the hyperlink is doing only 90% of what it should be (i.e. leaving out the ‘Goi’ part).

Why won’t the click on the URL load up the page in one go? Other URLs work fine and the ones that now give me this problem used to work OK. Any ideas?
Simon

My Webpage
My Online Storefront

"If you declare that you can create a machine that will peel a potato, he will proclaim it impossible ...
Yet if it peels a potato before his very eyes, he will say it is useless since it cannot slice a pineapple!"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:31 PM

Those three things should happen . Are you saying that consistently, clicking on a link in Word does NOT open IE and automatically go to that page, or just the one link, or more than one link but not each time? Is the hyperlink underlined in the text? Have you changed your firewall or IE settings recently?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:19 PM

Make sure the url for the hyperlink is typed correctly in prtoperties.

Alot of times, when you make a url in an office program, it adds an extra slash here or there

For example, if you wanted www.mysite..com/page.html to be a hyoerlink in an office program

Sometimes the office program will do this www.mysite..com/page.html/

That extra slash screws it up.

Try right clicking the hyperlink in the program and clicking properties and tinkering with it there

Also, try firefox it out....its the future

Edited by Techsomething, 24 March 2005 - 05:19 PM.

#4 cyman1964uk

cyman1964uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:34 PM

OK, thanks for the replies ...

I think the best way to go forward with this is by example. I was hoping to avoid using a link here as I could be 'done' for advertising ... but that's not my aim, but rather to sort this niggle out!

Here's a URL that will display the behaviour I'm referring to (assuming HTML shows up here!):

http://www.cyman64.f2s.com/urls/webdaw.html

(If you click on the above, it strangely works properly and takes you to the right page - please try the exercise below to try to resolve my specific problem ... it'll only take a few seconds :thumbsup: )

Please place (cut-and-paste) this URL into a new Word/Excel document, so it appears as a hyperlink. I believe that if you click on that link, it will simply open up IE and place the URL in the address line (AND NOT GO TO THE INTENDED PAGE).

Now, without doing anything else, click on the 'Go' button next to the address line in IE and 'Hey Presto!' it works!!!

If you cut-and-paste the link as text and place it in the IE address bar and click 'Go', it will work too, I believe!

What's annoying is that if one WERE to try to advertise the above link, one would like it to go STRAIGHT TO the webpage, i.e. do what it's supposed to do just by clicking the link. Instead, a reader has to do a further click on the 'Go' button. I know it's not much to ask, but in this electronic age, even a single extra click is considered excessive, right?

Any ideas? Please rack your brains!

:flowers:
Simon

My Webpage
My Online Storefront

"If you declare that you can create a machine that will peel a potato, he will proclaim it impossible ...
Yet if it peels a potato before his very eyes, he will say it is useless since it cannot slice a pineapple!"

Posted Image

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:43 PM

Well I tried your exercise and it works fine for me!

I had to wait maybe 20 seconds for the page to load (but then I am on dial-up) but it loaded without any further clicks or intervension. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 25 March 2005 - 09:45 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 cyman1964uk

cyman1964uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for trying it out Rimmer ... did you click the link after cutting-and-pasting elsewhere? I've had difficulty on my PC, my g/f's PC, my work PC ... the list goes on!

Anyone else brave enough to give it a try? I really need to know what the problem is ... Grrr!
Simon

My Webpage
My Online Storefront

Posted Image

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 02:52 PM

I just created an MS Word document, copied your link into it, and set it as a hyperlink.

Then using both IE and Firefox browsers (separately) was able to click on your link
and the browsers both set the link and went immediately to your site.

From the MS Word document I must use the Ctrl Key when clicking on the hyperlink
for it to autoload and for the browser to set the new page. (I have XP Home OS.)

I went back and did a cut & paste method of placing the link into my browsers, and
using this method of course, had to click the "Go" toggle.

I then repeated the first exercise of just clicking on the hyperlink and it again, the link
worked just fine. (Again employing the Ctrl Key.)

(I don't have Excel available at the moment to try it there.)

regards,
Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:01 PM

I have tried the exercise using Mozilla and both OpenOffice.Org as well as MS Word (97). In the latter case, it took about two seconds for the formatting to appear on the document (the underline); clicking on the link in the document brought up the URL in Mozilla without problems.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 cyman1964uk

cyman1964uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:58 AM

Thanks for your efforts, guys. Though it's nice to know the URL works fine in some cases, it doesn't help (unfortunately) in my quest to sort my own problem out, which is that it doesn't work properly for me. :thumbsup:

For proof that at least one other person has had the problem, LOOK HERE (caperjack's 2nd response).

BTW: Not sure if I was strictly allowed to use the above link in this thread as it points to another :flowers: discussion board.
Simon

My Webpage
My Online Storefront

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users