Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 7.5 A/v Free April 15th Update -- Avoid?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

I use AVG 7.5 Free A/V and like it a lot. However, they've got that new Version 8.0 and it's not free but the paid for version. They're still updating 7.5 Free A/V, but this morning there is a new update for it:

AVG Free Control Center (version: 522)
AVG Free User Interface (version: 524)
Localisation English (version: 520)
Update component (version: 523)

And I think it's 1.73 megs.

When you go to their message board about it, it says it's for:

All AVG Free 7.5 Users

A new recommended update for AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5 for Windows (build 524) has been released. It will be available for download as a installation package or update package. Moreover, AVG installations will automatically download this recommended update within the next 2-3 days (this is because of load balancing).

The latest update includes :-

Improvements:
- Preparation of AVG 7.5 to 8.0 upgrade.

Does this mean that 8.0 is going to be free and they'll stop updating/supporting 7.5? Or, if not, would it be best to avoid this update for now? Especially since I've read some reports of problems with 8.0 paid version (here on this board even). Or is AVG Free A/V coming to an end all together, and the paid 8.0 Version will be the only option?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 16 April 2008 - 11:50 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:10 PM

I could not find anything specific about this in the Grisoft AVG Forums, but I suspect, given the history of how Grisoft first releases a new paid version and then later incorporates some of it into its free version, that there will be a free AVG 8.0 soon. I see no reason NOT to install the update.
If there is confirmed news, I am sure it will be posted somewhere here.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:47 AM

Okey-doke. I will check around some more and then probably update. Thanks for the reply!

Edited by bloomcounty, 17 April 2008 - 11:48 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users