Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oe 6 Text Versus Rich Text

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 arizonajoe

arizonajoe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:37 AM

Hello, Am not totally computer savy, evident by the fact it took me five minutes to find the button to submit a query, but enought about me. I do not know when this started happening, am sure must have been something I did, however, all messages I receive from my friends, in plain text format, turn up as garbled coding in the remarks section. I can go to the attachments and open and see, i.e. jpg file, pps display, wmv, etc. Any files received in rich text there is no problem. Only the plain text files. Surely there must have been a setting I messed up?? Would appreciate any help. Will say this is the fourth forum I have asked this question on with no results. So still hoping!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

If someone tries to send anything other than a text message...in text format...it probably looks like junk. It is a very limited format, with little formatting and other options available. Pure and simple.

The text format is not like the .doc format...pictures, etc. cannot be included as part of the message. This format is only for word messages, no frills.

Rich text (.rtf) is entirely different and more flexible, allowing use of graphics, text, and formatting options not found in the .txt format.

Soooo...if it were me, I'd go back to the sender and see what the garble might be.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 April 2008 - 10:25 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

Can you copy and paste a bit of the "garbled" text in a reply (doesn't have to be more than a couple of lines). I think an example of what you are getting might be useful. Plain text to plain text messages should come across perfectly, it is reading rich text in plain text format that can present problems, for the most part.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 arizonajoe

arizonajoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:18 AM

Hi John, Thanks, here is some of the text. As I mentioned, on the plain text I can read any text in the remarks, however, if pics go with it I have to open them up under the paper clip. Makes it a little hard to forward this kind of email to other friends without doing a lot of cutting and pasting!!! I understand why I'm getting this, because of the plain text. The rich text does just fine. However, both of my friends stated they did not change their computers for several years so it has to be my problem.

Joe

------=_NextPart_001_0023_01C89EF2.C7175B10
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition:

<html xmlns:v=3D=22urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml=22 =
xmlns:o=3D=22urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office=22 =
xmlns:w=3D=22urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word=22 =
xmlns:m=3D=22http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml=22 =
xmlns=3D=22http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40=22>

<head>
<meta http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D=22text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii=22>
<meta name=3DGenerator content=3D=22Microsoft Word 12 (filtered medium)=22>
<=21--=5Bif =21mso=5D>
<style>
v=5C:* =7Bbehavior:url(=23default=23VML);=7D
o=5C:* =7Bbehavior:url(=23default=23VML);=7D
w=5C:* =7Bbehavior:url(=23default=23VML);=7D
=2E.shape =7Bbehavior:url(=23default=23VML);=7D
</style>
<=21=5Bendif=5D-->
<style>
<=21--
/* Font Definitions */
=40font-face
=09=7Bfont-family:Calibri;
=09panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;=7D
=40font-face
=09=7Bfont-family:Tahoma;
=09panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;=7D

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:15 AM

FWIW: Forwarding of emails...is generally something that has always been problematic for one reason or another (scams, red X phenomenon, etc.).

Although cutting and pasting may be a bit awkward at times, it does ensure that the recipient does not wind up with a bunch of email addresses which were never to be seen by her/him.

If I receive something that has graphics in it...which I want to send to someone else, I just either insert/attach the graphic or do the cut/paste routine.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users