Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Destructive Recovery Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:49 AM

Reboot computer, choose to boot to partition d for system recovery.
It loads, then I come to a screeching halt when I see the following:

1: C:\Windows
2: D:\miniNT
3: D\I386

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
<To cancel press Enter>?

Which of the options do I choose? I may be way off base, but I don't think I need to choose option 1.
The other 2 I have no clue what they are. Last night I searched HP and the web, couldn't find any info to tell me the differences between 2 and 3.
All comments will be appreciated.

EDITED to add:

The process is detailed
HERE-HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP

For both Recovering from Windows XP and Recovering During Startup, they get as far as the setup screen loading, then instead of giving me the options for which type of recovery, I get a screen with the questions I listed above.

Another thing I just found out when I hit F10 for system recovery during bootup.
After recovery loads, I get this message:

Stop c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
?\SystemRoot\System32\Config\Security or
its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not available.

( the ? above-don't know what goes there because
the text is way over the left of the screen
and I can't see what's there)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 April 2008 - 12:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSteele

JSteele

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

If you are trying to fix a boot problem then you will want to choose option 1 to edit your windows installation. After this option you will probably be taken to a dos command which you will want to type:

fixboot

then type exit to restart your computer.

I hope this helps, you didn't state what happened or what you are trying to recover from. If you need more help, repost.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

Doesn't look promising, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084

If you can boot into Windows (or attach the drive to another system with Windows)...I would suggest running chkdsk /r on the drive and then trying your recovery. The reason I say chkdsk...it may be able to ameliorate the registry problem.

Looks like you have nothing to lose.

I would also try to nail down the status of the drive by using a manufacturer's diagnostic on it, hoping that it's not a catastrophic hard drive failure.

Louis

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

Hi Queen-Evie

You have probably figured out by now that the references to D: refer to the Recovery Partition on your C: Drive which contains the factory settings and Windows that your PC shipped with.

I had the same problem last week when trying to figure out what command to enter in the D:\miniNT window while attempting to replace just the System Files so will be interested to read any replies.

Good luck with your problem.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

If you are trying to fix a boot problem then you will want to choose option 1 to edit your windows installation. After this option you will probably be taken to a dos command which you will want to type:

fixboot

then type exit to restart your computer.

I hope this helps, you didn't state what happened or what you are trying to recover from. If you need more help, repost.

I did that last night, fixboot wouldn't work. I choose each option, typed in fixboot, and was basically told you can't do that.

Doesn't look promising, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084

If you can boot into Windows (or attach the drive to another system with Windows)...I would suggest running chkdsk /r on the drive and then trying your recovery. The reason I say chkdsk...it may be able to ameliorate the registry problem.

Looks like you have nothing to lose.

I would also try to nail down the status of the drive by using a manufacturer's diagnostic on it, hoping that it's not a catastrophic hard drive failure.

Louis

I saw that article last night after trying fixboot. Ran chkdsk/r, then my drive manufacturer's diagnostic, and the drive passed all the tests. Still had the problem.

Hi Queen-Evie

You have probably figured out by now that the references to D: refer to the Recovery Partition on your C: Drive which contains the factory settings and Windows that your PC shipped with.

I had the same problem last week when trying to figure out what command to enter in the D:\miniNT window while attempting to replace just the System Files so will be interested to read any replies.

Good luck with your problem.

My solution to the issue-a couple of days ago, when this issue surfaced, I decided to take the plunge and make recovery disks. This morning, I used those disks and was able to do the destructive recovery.
Rowal, I wish I could give you an easy answer but I never found one. Maybe someone else will have a solution.

I was hoping I could get back and post an update BEFORE anyone replied.
At the time I decided to use the cd disks, there were no replies. I do appreciate the replies, though.

And the reason I wanted to do a recovery:

No big issues-no spyware, viruses, etc.
Computer was running slow, I did the usual clean-up, uninstalled a lot of programs my daughter put on the pc when she was here. Still ran a bit slow, and decided to reinstall. (and at this time, the pc is faster than it's been in a long time)
Basically it was because I can. That and the fact that I'm used to popping in a Windows XP disk on the now dead custom made pc, and this recovery partition is new to me. After being in use since Nov. 2006, I was ready to start over clean and wanted to learn how to use recovery partition. I'm hoping this is a fluke, and not an indication of a bad drive.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 April 2008 - 08:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users