Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I test My CPU?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dtbraun

dtbraun

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:04 PM

Hey All,
I just got a new system all put together, and My Pentium 4 3.0 GHz seems to be a bit of a problem, I think it might be toast, I get through the board boot, and right when XP should start loading I get a flash of a blue sceen and then the system reboots. I have no Idea if there's something in the BIOS I need to change, or If I just made some rookie mistake in setup that might be slowing me down, but If it is my CPU I need to sent it back ASAP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tim723

tim723

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:21 PM

what kind of ram and motherboard do u have, and have you been in the BIOS yet and configured the settings to match your hardware?
Posted Image

#3 dtbraun

dtbraun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:38 PM

I am using a Giga-Byte GA-8IP775-G (800mhz fsb, 4x DIMM for Dual Channel DDR 400, i865P Chipset) with two 512 Dual Channel 400 mhz DIMMs. The memory runs the "Memory Test" fine, my drives are recognized and, yes I've been in BIOS I believe, I tried setting the CPU voltage up to 1.4 instead of the auto 1.375, but that did nothing, and I Looked to see that my Hard Drive was being recognized which it was(Seagate 120 GB) and I looked for other settings that might be holding me back, but I don't know where to go from here.

#4 dtbraun

dtbraun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:06 PM

:thumbsup: I'm still not booting, If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

#5 couladin127

couladin127

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:32 PM

:thumbsup: I don't know that I would recommend playing with the voltage of the processor in the BIOS unless you know exactly what you are doing. It's quite possible to fry your processor if you turn the voltage up too high.

What I would recommend is to restore the factory or failsafe defaults for your BIOS and try to boot again.

I think first I'd try to do a reinstall of windows, just to make sure that nothing went wrong during installation.

Next, have you thought about trying to boot to a live version of linux to see if it's possible for you to boot anything?

Let me know if that works...and if not, I'll think of something else :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users