Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Should I Do About Update 937287?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NotVeryTechie

NotVeryTechie

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:23 AM

Hi there

I have been reading that there are problems with update 937287 for Vista, which could cause the computer to endlessly reboot. My situation is that I don't have an internet connection, so I visited a friend and downloaded SP1 and read up about it and found that there are three critical updates I have to install before I can install SP1. I downloaded them and am planning to take all the updates and install them on my computer manually. But now I don't know if I should do this. If SP1 won't install without this update, will I then not be able to install SP1 at all?

I also want to know what Microsoft does about users that don't have internet access. Do you just have to live without any updates, ever?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:25 AM

well it works for me i installed it and works fine if isn't just put in your Vista installation disk and go back to a system restore point before you updated but i have no idea of how to fix but if all goes well goto here and install SP1 from this link:

Windows SP1 Download

Edited by Dialga, 18 April 2008 - 12:26 AM.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:57 AM

can you explain a bit? you say you do not have an internet connection? DID you have one and has an infection clobbered it? if so, which is your antivirus program and what other protection is on board?

you have this thread in the am I infected section

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/142136/pen-drive-infected/

have you managed to infect your computer fron the other one?

or is this a 'red herring' ?

Edited by ruby1, 18 April 2008 - 06:02 AM.

#4 NotVeryTechie

NotVeryTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

I don't understand what you mean by red herring. I do not have an internet connection AT ALL. I have gone to a friend's computer and downloaded the updates and then put them on 'n pen drive so that I can take them to my computer and then install them.

#5 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

Red herring:

any diversion intended to distract attention from the main issue

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=red%20herring

As for your other question:

I also want to know what Microsoft does about users that don't have internet access. Do you just have to live without any updates, ever?

I guess THEY just have to do what you are doing... manually updating.

#6 NotVeryTechie

NotVeryTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:18 AM

I am still worried about manually installing these updates. I have been reading a lot of bad stuff happening to people's computers when they've loaded these updates. Not sure what to do. And this is a real question. I am not putting in any Red Herrings or any other types of things. I really am nervous and would appreciate some help!

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

so you DID have an internet connection ? when and how did you lose it? what scans have you run to see where an infection might be lurking?

#8 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

Ruby, NotVeryTechie has already clarified that they never had an Internet connection in the first place. It was actually clear from the first post:
"My situation is that I don't have an internet connection, so I visited a friend..." The second part "I also want to know what Microsoft does about users [like him/her] that don't have an internet access..." also adds to the reason that they are talking about general lack of Internet connection, not lack of it due to a malware infection. The post in the 'Am I infected? What do I do?' section is probably a coincidence and it only refers to a 'Pen Drive infection'.

You seem to have missed his/her 2nd post as well:

I do not have an internet connection AT ALL. I have gone to a friend's computer and...

NotVeryTechie is just 'worried' about manually installing the Vista Updates... and wondering what options Microsoft has got for users like them.

I hope I've explained your position clearly, NotVeryTechie!

Edited by Juha, 21 April 2008 - 03:45 PM.

#9 NotVeryTechie

NotVeryTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

Yes, thank you Juha, you have summed it up nicely. I really am worried about installing the updates after everything that I have read. So any advice on that score would be most helpful. I am just going to ignore silly posts by people who don't bother to read what I have posted from now on.

So, can anyone help with question about installing the Vista updates? Should I do it or not?

#10 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:26 PM

NotVeryTechie:

Microsoft is giving free SP1 support. I suggest you talk to them first about you situation. I'm sure they will be able to give you the help you need.

Here is the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/intern...mp;gprid=500921

Phone: 1-866-234-6020 (toll free)

Edited by Bartster, 22 April 2008 - 02:32 PM.

#11 NotVeryTechie

NotVeryTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:28 AM

Hi there

I live in the UK, so that toll-free number won't work and I have an OEM version which is not supported for free. I had a look and it will cost me around £40 to just talk to them, by phone or email!

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

I am just going to ignore silly posts by people who don't bother to read what I have posted from now on.

one HAS read what was posted hense the specific questions about the internet connection

for future reference it might have been a wee bit more helpful if the original entry had stated that the computer has NEVER had an internet connection; as you may know some infections can disable an internet connection ; if this computer HAD originally BEEN connected TO the internet it is very possible that an infection could have wiped out that connection
:huh:

of interest, what IS the antivirus program you have on the computer as, if you are using any pen drive or a CD etc with that computer, how are you scanning them for viruses before you use them?

#13 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

This article might answer your question about KB937287:

Dated April 7, 2008

Vista SP1 reboot bug fixed
Posted by Ed Bott @ 11:02 am

Categories: Windows Vista, Service Pack 1

Tags: Update, Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows Vista SP1, Microsoft Windows Vista (Longhorn), Microsoft Windows, Operating Systems, Software, Ed Bott

<script> var tb1 = new CNET.Blog.Toolbar.Interact(); CNET.Blog.Toolbar.Interact.allToolbars.push(tb1); tb1.id = 'bott_425'; CNET.Blog.Toolbar.Interact.service.contentId.push(tb1.id); tb1.idContainer = 'interact_'+tb1.id; tb1.title = 'Vista SP1 reboot bug fixed'; tb1.emailTitle = 'Vista SP1 reboot bug fixed | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com'; tb1.diggTopic = 'tech_news'; tb1.diggBodyText = 'A ZDNET Blog'; tb1.absoluteUrl = 'http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=425'; tb1.relativeUrl = '?p=425'; tb1.commentUrl = '?p=425#comments'; tb1.blogThisUrl = 'index.php?blogthis=1&p=425'; tb1.noTalkback = ''; tb1.numTalkbacks = '16'; tb1.votingId = tb1.id; tb1.voteCount = 10; tb1.voteTotal = 12; tb1.recommend.hasVoted = false; tb1.recommend.contentId = 'bott_425'; tb1.recommend.userId = ''; tb1.recommend.encodedTitle = 'VmlzdGEgU1AxIHJlYm9vdCBidWcgZml4ZWQ.'; tb1.recommend.encodedUrl = 'aHR0cDovL2Jsb2dzLnpkbmV0LmNvbS9Cb3R0Lz9wPTQyNQ..'; tb1.recommend.rpcHost = 'blogs.zdnet.com'; tb1.recommend.loginUrl = 'http://www.zdnet.com/1320-4_24-44.html?path='; tb1.recommend.returnUrl = 'http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=425'; tb1.recommend.cookieResults = ''; tb1.init(); 16 TalkBacksRemember that issue where trying to install Vista SP1 would result in a hard-to-break reboot cycle? Well, the Microsoft Update blog says the problem was caused by "a few unknown and rare events" during the installation of one of the prerequisites to installing SP1: KB937287, the Servicing Stack Update (SSU). That issue is reportedly fixed now:

To address this problem for people who have not already installed the SSU, we are releasing a fix tomorrow which will install prior to the SP1 Servicing Stack Update. This pre-SSU update helps to ensure a smooth install of the SSU by working to prevent the system from rebooting during the SP1 SSU installation. We also made additional changes to the SSU installer code, so that it checks for and requires the pre-SSU (KB949939) before it will install.

These two updates should now install seamlessly through Windows Update, in the proper order, so those of you with WU set to "install updates automatically" who haven't already installed the SSU don't have to take any further action. For those using the standalone download of SP1, the issues we encountered do not affect that method of installing at all.

Additional information in the announcement indicates that this issue doesn't affect updates using the standalone installer.

If you've been holding off on SP1 deployment because of this issue, you may now resume.

Ed Bott is an award-winning technology writer with more than two decades' experience writing for mainstream media outlets and online publications. See his full profile and disclosure of his industry affiliations.

Edited by Bartster, 23 April 2008 - 03:55 PM.

#14 NotVeryTechie

NotVeryTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:15 AM

Thank you so much Bartster! Would it be best to re-download the pre-required updates and the SP1, or use the old ones I managed to download before?

Also, if I am doing a standalone install, do I still need to load these updates? If so, have I identified all the ones I need, or are there others?

Thanks again, very helpful.

#15 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

You will need KB937287 and KB938371. If you have these already, then you should be good to go.
I remember that you said you had three updates. I would go ahead and install them. Can't hurt anything.
Use the 5 language standalone download if that isn't the one you have. It's much quicker to install.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Edited by Bartster, 24 April 2008 - 09:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users