Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel Amd Processor Nomenclature

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 american.swan

american.swan

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:39 AM

Could some knowledge blessed poster explain the horridly confusing, headache causing, nomenclature of the Intel & AMD processors?

All I know is some processors are marketed for laptops, some for low-end desktops, and still others with high-end cache designated for high-end desktops.

After getting a headache reading wiki, i am lost and in pain.

Good topic for a "tips and tricks" maybe. Cause this would be a great "guide"....if all grandma is going to do is surf to her yahoo e-mail account, you don't need Intel's computer gaming cpu.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:16 AM

Nomenclature...what is it exactly that you want to know or compare?

There's a ton of info on processors available at the respective websites of Intel and AMD...but it helps to know just what it is that a user wants to know or compare.

Also...there are links like this available on the Web: http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29445 There's probably something similar posted here in the Hardware section of this website.

Louis

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

I briefly covered the topic here but as you mentioned you have read that article already. As Hamluis mentioned is their a specific question? Do you need a recommendation on what you should get for a specific computer?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 american.swan

american.swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

The two replies pretty much answer my question. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

This http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php pretty much answers my question.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

Hmm...I'll only add that benchmarks...any benchmark...(IMO) only reflects one perspective on a processor may have little correspondence to the actual needs of a user.

But they're nice stats...

A better tool, IMO, would be to read a review of the processors in question, as compiled/written by a reliable source.

Louis

#6 american.swan

american.swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:29 PM

Hmm...I'll only add that benchmarks...any benchmark...(IMO) only reflects one perspective on a processor may have little correspondence to the actual needs of a user.

But they're nice stats...

A better tool, IMO, would be to read a review of the processors in question, as compiled/written by a reliable source.

Louis

Your probably right. Absolutely right when it comes to different folks run different applications at different times, in different orders, and so forth.

What I was after was some kind of list of names relative to each other. So the list does what it needs to for me. How am I supposed to know what processor is good for me or anyone else for that matter with the confusing names and speeds released by the CPU makers? Obviously the list gives too many options. And it would need more sifting to determine which chips are still being made or are relatively easy to get. Also, there is no price comparison which would play an important role in these economic conditions.

Where I'm at it seems computers are advertised as the latest greatest CPU and low price because the Ghz and cache of the processor is the economy model of the line and the consumer or business looks at the bottom line and could be fooled into getting the economy model cpu without realizing what their really getting. Of course depending on use it might not matter. No point in getting the "fastest" of the product line just for the CPU to sit idle waiting for input from the user all day.

Do you have some reliable sources you trust that I could adopt and/or promote in my realm of cyberspace that would be fine?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:45 PM

It's confusing...and I don't know of a single source for all processors because they, like motherboards, continue to be used by us users long after they have stopped production of same.

I just have general rules which I use:

a. You can just look at Ghz up through the Pentium 4s and the AMD XPs (which really didn't use Ghz).

b. The dual-cores (any/all) are faster than any single-core. Many of the processors which appear to "on sale" today probably belong in the single-core category (which...was the fastest thing available not long ago).

c. Intel has the better processors (head-to-head) when compared to AMD counterparts, but...the AMD processors are better buys, since their top processors of not-long-ago are today's "bargains."

d. Box-makers (Gateway, Compaq, etc.) will go with the latest, greatest generally speaking...their market assumes new users don't really want or know the differences of the past and will go with whatever is "popular."

All processors (Intel and AMD) made today...are very fine, IMO. The Celerons (which was aimed at the inexpensive consumer market) are now a thing of the past for many systems and even the Celerons were surprisingly good, all things considered.

Bear in mind that my first system included a Pentium 166 processor and I've gone through enough changes at this point that I can appreciate anything that's considerably faster.

When I want to know something about processors, I just look up a review of that particular processor and ask myself if I am really ever going to notice the speed differences which are daily touted to the knowing and unknowing.

This system is still using an XP 2200 processor and it powers (easily) 4 hard drives, 1 DVD drive, etc. with no problems...and I have no complaints about processing speed for any application. I do video capture and editing, burn CDs/DVDs, and all the other routine things that users do.

I don't game...and gamers are the market that all the speed emphases and high-cost video cards are made for. It's a catch-22 for gamers because newer games demand more speed...endlessly :thumbsup:.

I just tend to buy what I can afford to buy or what seems to be the right price, at the right time.

I suspect that I'll buy a dual-core system sometime in Jan 09, when they should be out of favor :flowers:.

Dell is a good place to go and see what is being pushed...and then just do some comparative shopping/reviewing independently online at places like Tiger Direct, Newegg, Directron, and Pricewatch.

Edit: I used a magazine called Computer Shopper for weeks before I ever bought my first computer. It had tons of systems, specs, etc. Today I would recommend (to anyone anticipating buying a system or components) that he/she get on the mailing list for catalogs from Tiger Direct, Dell, etc. and just get an idea about the lay of the land...before plunking any money down.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 April 2008 - 09:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users