Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_com28

Chris_com28

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:37 AM

I recently upgraded my computer, with the help of my father for my birthday. It was good experience for me, but it also taught me how much more I need to learn. Anyway, we had a problem with the RAM sticks. It would only take one 512MB stick and not two. We were able to solve that by updating the BIOS, but I still have a memory problem. On System Properties it says I only have 896MB instead of 1024MB. Is there anyway to get the extra memory that I should have?

I have an Asus M2N-MX SE Series motherboard with A Data RAM sticks.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GokuDude

GokuDude

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:39 AM

Always does that..

4GB RAM shows up as 3.2 :thumbsup:

#3 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:24 AM

Why? Does it still work as 1024? My laptop shows no decrease in RAM as it's at 512MB.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:48 AM

Hi Chris com28, yes it should show up as 1024. I would first confirm that it is supported http://au.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&...amp;modelmenu=2
no problems so have you checked in task manager that it is showing the correct ram? Have you tried to swap the ram out?
Download this program as it will give you alot of info on your PC http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Edited by Monty007, 16 April 2008 - 04:48 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:37 AM

The reason is most likely that your graphics is sharing system memory. You see 1024-896=128 . 128mb is a usual number for how much ram a graphics card has. Before you upgraded the ram, you might not of noticed, but it was probably using about 32mb or 64mb of your system ram for video. I think when you add more ram into a system it might automatically add a little bit more to the video if its shared.

You can go into your bios and there should be an option there to change the amount if you want. If you play games though, I think how much it's using is good. If you don't play games you could probably turn the graphics down to use less, but I don't think you'll notice the 128mb difference.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:17 AM

The simplest way I have found to solve the problem of shared video memory is to install a video card with as much or more memory as the computer would share without it. If your currently sharing 128 mb without the video card, then install a video card with at least 128 mb of onboard memory.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:27 AM

I would sat Sterling nailed it, knows his math

Course we see this time after time

Edited by DaChew, 17 April 2008 - 05:29 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:03 AM

yep, that would have been my answer too..

if you are not sure, than a quick look down the back of your PC may help, where is the VGA port situated?

assuming you are usign a 'tower' then if your VGA port is vertical, then it could well be integrated, and use your overall RAM.. (would be realtively close to keyboard/mouse and other ports)

if it is horizontal, and further down, then chances are its coming from a separate video card which is more likely to have its own memory..

(i know it isnt the most technical way to determine, but its potentially a quickie :thumbsup: oh and assuming you are using a VGA connection by the way...)

#9 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:37 AM

VGA? I don't think I've heard of that before. Well I have an onbaord graphics card so that could account for the missing RAM. I remember something like that happening, but I never made the connection before. It's a pretty good graphics card though, 512MB. I'm going to get a new card after I get a SATA hard drive.

I'll check out the other ideas later, but I think this is it.

#10 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:41 AM

you probably have... or at least know it but aybe not by the exact name..

looks like this;

Posted Image

#11 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

Oh right. Thanks. Do you know what it stands for?

I think I'll leave the graphics card as it is now. It may be strealing a bit of memory, but it's not much so not really worth going into the BIOS to fix it.

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

watch task manager, if you start running out of available ram then try to shut down some extra processes that you don't need

128 megs of video memory is kind of a minimum any more, such is the price of progress

and remember shared is lame as it's slow, that's why they always say onboard has a 20% or higher performance hit

Edited by DaChew, 19 April 2008 - 12:33 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users