Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Moving On Its Own

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stuffed

Stuffed

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:05 AM

Hi,

For the last 3 to 4 weeks every time I boot up my computer my mouse is pulsating and moving across the screen from right to left. This activity lasts for about 5 minutes and everything is then fine. When it is happening it is so annoying trying to open and close programs. I have tried uninstalling the mouse and rebooting, and that didn't work.

I am running XP home SP2.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:26 AM

Hi stuffed, just a couple of questions, what type(optical or ball ) usb or ps2,is it a name brand mouse? have you got a spare you can try?
Here is a help topic with some info http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;321122
MCP
MSDST

#3 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:00 AM

Hi

It's an optical intellimouse - microsoft. No I don't have a spare to try.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:08 AM

Microsoft have driver updates so have a look at he link but create a system restore point first http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseand...ls.aspx?pid=003
Other than trying another mouse you could try a usb/ps2 connector and see if that resolves the problem.
MCP
MSDST

#5 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:25 PM

are you sure the mouse is moving? could be an optical illusion..... :thumbsup:

oh dear, just had to..

but as for serious replies, what Monty has said would be good.. also as it is an optical mouse, what surface are you using it on? anything reflective? (or at least partially/shiny?)

#6 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:19 PM

Hi

It's an optical intellimouse - microsoft. No I don't have a spare to try.

Once it settles down, if you reboot the machine, does it happen again?

Often times if you only get erratic behavior when something is hot or
cold it's a hardware problem. First thing I'd do is buy a cheap mouse
and try it. If the cheap mouse works when you boot a cold system
but the "good" mouse doesn't, then the good mouse is probably bad. :thumbsup:

Edited by MilesAhead, 16 April 2008 - 02:20 PM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#7 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:22 AM

Hi,

I have taken on board all the recommendations and tried most, except buying a cheap mouse. The problem still exists, though the problem only lasts for about 30 seconds before returning to normal.

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:27 AM

Well atleast the problem doesn't last as long :thumbsup: I would go and buy a cheap mouse and see if it works without problems, this may be the answer to this :flowers:

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.
I had this promblem too, like what David said buy another mouse it should work fine. Once I bought a new mouse the promblem stoped. I suggest not buying the too cheap ones because that might be the promblem that you are encoutering. The cheap one that i bought was moving all over the places.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#10 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:50 AM

Hi and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.
I had this promblem too, like what David said buy another mouse it should work fine. Once I bought a new mouse the promblem stoped. I suggest not buying the too cheap ones because that might be the promblem that you are encoutering. The cheap one that i bought was moving all over the places.

thats a kind of fair statement, though im not too sure that an intellimouse would be classified as a 'cheap' mouse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users