Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen, Multiple Users Logged In

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aky

aky

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:44 AM

I have 3 user accts setup on my system. Whenever I accout is logged in but at the user selection screen, another user logs in I get a blue screen. 0x93 (have to make sure if this as I'm not home now)

It happens each time without fail.

If I log off the first user then log in the second user everything works fine. Only when 2 users try to log in at the same time.

Can someone advise

Core 2 duo e 6600
2 gb ram
win xp sp2
latest av as software

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:05 AM

I guess that I don't think that multiple users can login at the same time, http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:hR6gc...;cd=1&gl=us

I'm the only user of my systems so I really know nothing about multiple user accounts/access.

Based on what you've stated so far, I see no pertinent info on Error 0x93.

Louis

#3 aky

aky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

That us the correct stop error and I guess I'm fast switching users when this happens

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

I could imagine some scenario where a nasty running on one account might object to the fast user switching and crash/blue screen the computer.

I avoid too may logins, never allow fast user switching and usually only allow one admin login and that should be password protected in a multiuser enviroment

latest av as software

details?

Edited by DaChew, 16 April 2008 - 04:26 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

Hi, found this: I agree with DaChew, disable fast user switching.
"0x00000093: INVALID_KERNEL_HANDLE
This is a relatively rare error condition. Most documentation points to a driver problem — so check all hardware drivers starting with the most obvious, the video driver. Microsoft’s main page recommends general hardware troubleshooting, so use the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist below."
General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages
If you can’t find a specific reference to your problem, running through the following checklist stands a good chance of resolving the problem for you. This checklist is also usually the best approach to troubleshooting some specific Stop messages, such as 0x0A and 0x50.

Examine the System and Application logs in Event Viewer for other recent errors that might give further clues. To do this, launch EventVwr.msc from a Run box; or open Administrative Tools in the Control Panel then launch Event Viewer.
If youve recently added new hardware, remove it and retest.
Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the manufacturer.
Make sure device drivers and system BIOS are up-to-date.
However, if you’ve installed new drivers just before the problem appeared, try rolling them back to the older ones.
Open the box and make sure all hardware is correctly installed, well seated, and solidly connected.
Confirm that all of your hardware is on the Hardware Compatibility List. If some of it isnt, then pay particular attention to the non-HCL hardware in your troubleshooting.
Check for viruses.
Investigate recently added software.
Examine (and try disabling) BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890648&sd=RMVP
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724836.aspx

Edited by Monty007, 16 April 2008 - 04:43 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#6 aky

aky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:09 AM

Hi guys thanks for the suggestions. Ok i was typing from my phone so i might of not explained properly. The jist of it is there. If i use fast switching of users from account A to B, i get the BSOD.

If i log off first, then log into my other account, then it's fine.

I didnt update any hardware, or add anything new, this just started to happen out of the blue. Right now i have turned off fast switching users, so users have to log off before logging into another account.

Im going to try updating my video card drivers, but i dont know what i need. I have an nvidia geforce 6200 turbocache can anyone help me find the latest drivers, cant seem to find them

Thanks.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:46 AM

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.21_whql.html

for xp and media center

but let me warn you, turbocache is linked to system memory, fast user switching uses a lot also

the whole problem may be memory related

and that does not mean the memory is bad as I have found in a lot of threads, the bios may not be setting the cas or voltage values right

just a thought
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users