Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alacran

Alacran

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:29 AM

I am building a computer, and i have gotten to the point of installing an OS. I installed Xp home edition, and there was no problem. But after it installed, when the computer rebooted, it said there was a disk read error. I tried clearing the CMOS to see if that helped, which it didn't. when that didnt work, i tried using Xpress System Recovery to see if that helped, but after using that, when it starts loading instead of a disk read error i get a message that looks like lBé.$lBé.$ when this comes up, there are no options listed, and the only command i can do is the control+alt+delete reboot. Did i loose my OS when i used system recovery, or something else?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:57 AM

I'm not familiar with Xpress System Recovery and can find no link...what is it? If it's a program, can you post a link to it?

What did you install XP from...an MS CD, OEM CD, exactly what?

Disk read error...did you format the hard drive, using an XP CD? Not sure why anyone would get a disk read error after formatting, unless the drive itself has some problems.

Louis

#3 Alacran

Alacran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

The program Xpress Recovery came with the motherboard that i bought, the CD was an original, and yes i was formatting the hard drive for the first time. The OS installed, but after it did, the disk read error came up.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,859 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

Well...it appears to me that it's impossible to use a program...until that program has been installed.

I may be incorrect, but from what I read, you never had the opportunity to install that program...so it could be of no value to you or anyone intending to use it for any purpose.

The simplest/best thing to do from where I sit...delete that partition, start over with the format/partition/install procedure.

The hard drive used in the new build...it was a new hard drive? I'm still trying to decipher "disk read error."

Is there only one hard drive attached, with only one partition?

Louis

#5 Alacran

Alacran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:29 PM

Well...it appears to me that it's impossible to use a program...until that program has been installed.

I may be incorrect, but from what I read, you never had the opportunity to install that program...so it could be of no value to you or anyone intending to use it for any purpose.

The simplest/best thing to do from where I sit...delete that partition, start over with the format/partition/install procedure.

The hard drive used in the new build...it was a new hard drive? I'm still trying to decipher "disk read error."

Is there only one hard drive attached, with only one partition?

Louis

This is one of Alacran's friends posting so I'll give you a quick rundown of what has happened so far.

Originally the computer screen would not turn of when the computer was turned on so we diagnosed the problem as the video card. To test this theory we borrowed another PCI video card and installed that in the computer. Things seemed to work fine after that. When then installed a copy of windows xp home edition on the blank seagate hard drive and the install worked flawlessly. When we were prompted for a reboot the bios loaded and after going through the boot list it chose the hard drive... Problem is we are now getting is a hard drive disk read error (it says something like "Hard Disk Error Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart).

Let me know if this helps you.

Quick note,
The bios is made by gigabyte, would you recommend using something like biostar or pheonix instead?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,859 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:08 PM

OK...I don't know much but I'm willing to guess:).

I see tons of posts with this particular error message...I see no definitive assessment of what it is and/or a cure for it.

Just as somewhat-knowledgeable novice...to me, that message would indicate (possibly):

a. A problem with the NTFS file system.

b. A problem with the drive itself.

c. Incorrect boot order in the BIOS.

d. Possible loose connections (my catchall culprit).

Sooo...I would start eliminating suspects, based on ease. Connections first, boot order second, chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console for the drive, to be followed by manufacturer's diagnostic (if necessary)...then I would need to make a decision.

I don't shy away from clean installs, especially when there is nothing to lose. If none of my previous attempts produced joy (or if I was in a hurry), I would just delete everything on that drive...format/partition/install...and see how that turns out.

I don't think there's anything that a change of BIOS would do...I haven't thought about upgrading a BIOS since my Win 95/98 days. I don't see anything to be gained by going in that direction. AFAIK, the BIOS used is determined by the motherboard, with the motherboard (not the BIOS) being the driving force for all hardware. I think of the BIOS as a "facilitator", a tool which helps users to see that things are going right as far as system hardware is concerned.

Keep the info coming :thumbsup:, that's how I learn, thanks!

<<Originally the computer screen would not turn of when the computer was turned on so we diagnosed the problem as the video card. To test this theory we borrowed another PCI video card and installed that in the computer.>>

So, you tried another video card and the video problem was solved, apparently...

Louis

#7 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:50 PM

OK...I don't know much but I'm willing to guess:).

I see tons of posts with this particular error message...I see no definitive assessment of what it is and/or a cure for it.

Just as somewhat-knowledgeable novice...to me, that message would indicate (possibly):

a. A problem with the NTFS file system.

b. A problem with the drive itself.

c. Incorrect boot order in the BIOS.

d. Possible loose connections (my catchall culprit).

Sooo...I would start eliminating suspects, based on ease. Connections first, boot order second, chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console for the drive, to be followed by manufacturer's diagnostic (if necessary)...then I would need to make a decision.

I don't shy away from clean installs, especially when there is nothing to lose. If none of my previous attempts produced joy (or if I was in a hurry), I would just delete everything on that drive...format/partition/install...and see how that turns out.

I don't think there's anything that a change of BIOS would do...I haven't thought about upgrading a BIOS since my Win 95/98 days. I don't see anything to be gained by going in that direction. AFAIK, the BIOS used is determined by the motherboard, with the motherboard (not the BIOS) being the driving force for all hardware. I think of the BIOS as a "facilitator", a tool which helps users to see that things are going right as far as system hardware is concerned.

Keep the info coming :thumbsup:, that's how I learn, thanks!

<<Originally the computer screen would not turn of when the computer was turned on so we diagnosed the problem as the video card. To test this theory we borrowed another PCI video card and installed that in the computer.>>

So, you tried another video card and the video problem was solved, apparently...

Louis

Hello Louis,

This is the person that posted under Alacran's name.

As for the video card problem, this is what happened. Originally, as you know, nothing showed up. We switched the cards, I did a "force" install of Windows XP Home Edition (I had to screw around a little to get into the hard drive because of the disk read error) and since then we have swapped the cards and the one that was originally was not working, works perfectly now.

For steps we've taken on fixing the problem, I have gone back and tried to install Windows XP again and that hasn't solved the problem. I have gone into the BIOS and properly configured it but that to has had no avail.

He might be disassembling the computer and reassembling and/or just checking the connections today so an update should be coming shortly. Will also try the chkdsk /r.

Thanks for the help and hope this problem can be worked out sometime soon.

Gr3y

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users