Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deadback

deadback

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

I have a Toshiba laptop and the other day it was left on until it went dead. Then I stuck the charger in the laptop hit the power button and it starts up and says Windows Error Recovery and you have two option Launch Startup Repair or Start windows normally. I have tried both and nothing , it shows microsoft with the loading bar moving and thats all it does. I have also tried ALL of the Advanced Boot Options the same thing happens. But sometimes it loads and you just have a black screen with a curser. I have tried booting from the recover disk . NEED HELP PLEASE. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:33 AM

If Startup Repair didn't fix it, then I'd have to suspect that there's an issue with your hard drive. I'd suggest running a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive. If you can't locate one, let us know the manufacturer of the hard drive and we'll suggest some alternates.

FYI - your graphics card seems to work and the system gives you the same problems in Safe Mode and regular mode. Startup Repair runs chkdsk as a part of the process - so I'd think that the file system on the hard drive is OK.

If it's not the hard drive that's the problem, then we'll have to have a look at the Startup repair logfile and will have to consider a way to repair Windows as Toshiba's usually come with an image based recovery (it wipes everything and starts you over fresh).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 deadback

deadback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:50 AM

I can't locate one. I've tried running the system from a boot disk and it does the same thing over and over again. It will show the miscrosoft loading screen and then it goes to a black screen where the only thing that appears is the cursor. This is as far as it will go, even from the boot disk.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

Toshiba most often uses Fujitsu drives on their systems. Here's a link to the DOS utility for their drives: http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computi.../utilities.html You'll have to add them to a boot disk to run to tool.

In the event that the Fujitsu tool doesn't work for you, here's a link to the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test which works on most major manufacturer's hard drives: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
Please read the directions carefully for making a bootable CD/floppy disk.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Guest_RiceoRony_*

Guest_RiceoRony_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

I've had the exact problem before!

Upon boot up my computer just simply was stuck on the screen with the bar loading then goes blank and never loads up the Vista sign on page.

I couldnt boot to either safe mode or normal mode either because it would just get stuck.

It means that a file on your windows was corrupted.

The only way around it is a system reformat back to factory new condition :huh:

The reason it happened to me is because of a Vista update that wasn't allowed to fully complete it's installation upon reboot (my battery died and therefore cut off the update in progress).

Maybe you have a different incidence but same basic outcome.

However, i'm having a bunch more problems with Vista and I've decided it's most likely my HDrive.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users