Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After changing CPUs a few times windows is booting SLOW

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tim723

tim723

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:14 AM

The other day I was testing a socket 478 pentium 4 3.2 ghz processor for a friend on my motherboard. I plug it in to verify it is indeed working after having bent pins and it boots up great, windows recognizes it and everything works fine. Well now that i know his works fine its time to put my 3ghz back in. Well now whenever i hit enter after entering the password for my username, it will sit there at the boot screen for about 3 seconds, play the startup sound, then sit at the boot scren for an additional 7-10 seconds, and finally go to desktop and begin starting evrything up. It did not do this before the 3.2 ghz processor was in my machine. I have removed my processor before and put it back in with no problems. But now after having the other one in mine, it takes a looonnng time to start up windows and it is getting really annoying :thumbsup: Once windows is finally started everything works fine. The only problem is at startup. anyone have any suggestions, or maybe a reason why this is happening? Ive worked with computers for quite some time and this still seems strange to me.

Edited by tim723, 24 March 2005 - 11:15 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:02 AM

Dear Tim,

Sounds like an interesting problem. Are both CPU's Hyper Thread? My 3.2 is and once you install it the BIOS is set to it...depending on the mother board. I run an ASUS mother board and it freaks at any hardware change. I would recommend you check your BIOS. If you have upgraded your BIOS then do not hit load defaults or hit it...then reload upgraded BIOS.

You mentioned a password...do you have your CMOS password protected? Safe but could be problem. Get rid of the password (be offline) and restart computer. All and all, this sounds like a seating problem. I doubt you hurt anything, unless you smell and see smoke. :thumbsup:

Good Luck,

Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 tim723

tim723
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:58 AM

i did have a CMOS password and removed it like you said, but still had problem. well all i had to do was take out the CPU and put it back in and it boots fast again. I guess it was a seating problem, but it still seems strange to me that everything would work fine after windows is booted.. owel it doesnt really matter much now, the problem is fixed. thanks junkdk :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users