Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reset Internet Explorer Settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spidertom

spidertom

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

XP Home SP2 Hewet Packard IE7
reset internet explorer settings,should I or not.
If I reset my settings in IE7 to default this wipes out all my
restricted sites which I need to do because it's full.
There must be 300 sites in there.I guess that could slow my machine
down.what I'm wondering will doing that will that clear my password's
out in ebay and other places like internet passwords,in other words screw my computer up good? I tried Zone out and that took alot of them out
but they came back.I took out spybot search $ destroy,I thought maybe that was putting the restricted
sites in there.I had my Hijack Log analzed a while ago that seemed ok.
Does someone have some advice on what to do?
Would appreciate it. spidertom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:04 AM

Resetting Internet Explorer will wipe history, temporary internet files, web form info, cookies and passwords. Resetting won't harm your computer, but because cookies and saved passwords are deleted, all you have to do is re-enter them when you go to ebay and other places that require one. If you use IE7, you'll also have to go through the "choose your options" or whatever it's called. And you will have to reset your homepage. And your restricted sites will also be deleted.

If all you want to do is delete the restricted sites, you can do open Internet Options/Security tab.
Click the red circle with a line through it, then sites. You can delete them individually, but with 300 sites there, this would take a lot of time to do.

I personally don't think having that many restricted sites is slowing down your computer. When was the last time you deleted the cache? It's deleting cookies that wipes out your stored passwords. History, temp internet files, cookies can build up-causing a slowdown. It's a good idea to regularly delete them. As long as you know all your passwords, enter them back in when required.
Also, what about defragging? That might help with the speed issue.

Read
Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist
for more info on things you can do to speed up your computer.

One overlooked file that needs a regular cleaning is the Temp file. (not the same as temporary internet files). TEMP FILES. There are 2 files containing temps. One is temporary internet files, the other is the temp files. Temp files are created when certain programs are run or installed. (Windows is SUPPOSED to delete these files automatically but it often misses LOTS and these files, if left behind, can cause many problems with your computer.) Temp files should be deleted when the application using them closes, but many times they are not. Over time, the files build up, take up drive space and can affect your computers performance. These temp files are safe to delete. However, they do not automatically show up on your computer. They are in a part of the hidden files and you must configure Windows Explorer in order to see them.

To enable hidden files to show click on My Computer Icon. At the top of the page, Tools/Folder Options/View. Scroll down and check show hidden files and folder, apply, then ok.

To view them, you must open up Drive C, then documents and settings. If you have more than one user account on your computer, click the name of the account to open it, Documents and Settings/Local Settings. Not sure what you would see if there is only one user, just play around until you find it.
Hit ctrl+a to select them all, then hit your delete key. If it won't delete some of them, that's because they are attached to some program running in the background, so you may have to delete them one at a time. If one or two won't delete, they will probably delete when you reboot next, so don't worry about them.

Finally, do you have a desktop computer? Have you ever taken the case apart and cleaned out the innards? Dust can make the chips inside your computer run hotter and also clog cooling vents. At least once a month UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER FROM THE POWER SOURCE, open the case, and blow out the dust. Do not wipe it with a rag; use either your breath or an aerosol can of compressed air. Also, DO NOT block the vents from your tower or the moniter.You can also use a vacuum cleaner with the hose on the blower if you have one, but whichever method you use, DO NOT LET ANYTHING ACTUALLY TOUCH THE CABLES, MOTHERBOARD, ETC. Free airflow is a must to keep a computer from heating up.

All this is way more than you probably expected, but I hope it will help you.

#3 spidertom

spidertom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

Thanks Queen Evie,You've been more tha helpful,Really appreciate your time.
I took the temp files out and Defraged last week,so that would be
O.K.I have virus protection and 3 spywares so that's O.K.
I'm going to use the reset Int. explorer, as I feel more comfortable with
what you said about just applying passwords again.I've taken out a few things in
startup[config]I've taken most of my picture's out.
How about my doc's,probably have 1000 things in there too.In add & remove there's alot of things
there that I'm not sure of to take out.
spidertom

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

With Add/Remove programs, if you aren't sure what a program is do a search for the program. You'll get a good idea about whether it's essential. If you aren't sure you can ask here and we'll do our best to help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users