Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's The Difference?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:19 PM

Can you tell me what's the difference between those 2 Internet Explorer icons?

Attached File  IE_1.jpg   1.41KB   7 downloads

Attached File  IE_2.jpg   1.46KB   8 downloads

What are the applications associated with the little house?

Thanks

{Moved to more apprpriate forum~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 15 April 2008 - 08:29 PM.

Please post back if we found the solution

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hi karbo1,

The second one launches your Internet Explorer. The little house launches your home page when you are surfing op Internet and want to launch your homepage.

#3 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:31 PM

Why are some of my start menu web links opening with the IE and the little house?

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,671 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

To be precise, they both end up to your home page, but the Internet Explorer icon launches a new web page while the little house launches the home page within the same page you are in.

#5 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:27 AM

I'm not sure this had to be moved :thumbsup: My question is about IE's different icons in the system, especially in the start menu folder. I was wondering why my web links didn't open the same way because the icons I see are not right.

So why does a web link in my start menu, under a certain program, have to open with the little house? Why do I see both in there? Is there an error?

Edited by karbo1, 16 April 2008 - 07:29 AM.

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,671 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

1. To move your topic was the right "move" because the other topic concerns Windows XP and your question concerns the icons related to Web Browsing.

2. There is nothing wrong with the question.

3. Those icons are just short cuts. If you don't use them or like them just right click and chose delete from the context menu. Otherwise leave them and don't worry about them as they don't do any harm.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:22 PM

curiosity getting the better of me.....are these icons related to a specific flavour of a windows version or an IE version?

#8 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,671 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

It is good to be curious. They are related to Internet Explorer regardless of Windows flavor and as far as I can remember I have seen those icons on IE5 and IE6 before upgrading to IE7.

#9 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:39 PM

I was only asking the question because since I've installed my new Windows XP Pro SP2 with IE 7, icons related to web links in the start menu are not the same. Instead of the default Internet Explore icon, I get the white rectangle (no file association). But, the link works normally. I don't know why it does this. And, when I right click and choose Properties, I can see those links are shortcuts (opening with the little house) to "Program files" where the original file is. As for others, just a couple, they are Web documents linked to Documents and settings, showing the IE standard icon. I never had this problem before on my old computer with IE 6. How to correct this without manually having to change each icon, because this is not normal, especially on a clean install of Windows XP? My guess is that it's probably the same thing on your computer but nobody seems to have noticed it yet. I can't find anything on the net about this issue. Please check your own computers if you have the same installations.

Edited by karbo1, 17 April 2008 - 10:04 AM.

#10 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,671 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:17 PM

I have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with IE 7. I have removed all the start menu shortcuts I don't need including the IE shortcut as I have it on my quick lunch from where I can launch IE. Instead I have put there many shortcuts I use from time to time. I don't have any shortcut on my desktop either while many applications (some without asking) put a shortcut there. These small things are optional and you may choose to put them where you like them to be.
Are you facing anything unusual about your system except the presence or shape of those icons ?

#11 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

No, but since you've deleted everything there, I don't think you'll be able to confirm what I wrote. :thumbsup:

Edited by karbo1, 16 April 2008 - 05:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users