Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"found New Hardware"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 deon026

deon026

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

A couple of days of ago, I restarted my computer and when it came back on it said that the overclocking failed. I checked the bios and everything seemed fine. Now when I log on it says "Found New Hardware" and tries to install Nvidia controller but says it fails. I tried a system restore but that didn't work. But when I tried a system restore, I noticed that "Software Distribution 3.0" was installed a couple of hours before my problems began. The Microsoft update history shows it was updates to windows defender and .NET framework 2.0.

How do I stop the "found new hardware" box from popping up everytime I start my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

So, were you overclocking? I'd reset the default values first
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

do you need this Nvidia controller

you could see if in your device manager

copy and paste this in your run command

devmgmt.msc

or type it in

start/run/ devmgmt.msc /click ok

go to view tab
click on it
click on show hidden devices
go down the list of devices and look for
gray triangle box
right click on the +
look for nvidia device or drivers
you can disable them or uninstall them
if they are there

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

Have you checked Device Manager?

That's typically where new hardware shows up, especially if drivers are not installed.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

Just a shot in the dark, but use this free program to "Flush Software Distribution" (it's a button that you'll see when you launch the program): http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 deon026

deon026
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

So, were you overclocking? I'd reset the default values first

My computer is overclocked but I haven't changed anything in months.

Have you checked Device Manager?

That's typically where new hardware shows up, especially if drivers are not installed.

I've checked the Device Manager but how do I tell if the hardware is new? I hit the "scan for hardware changes" button and the IDE Controller and Nvidia Controller are showing as being changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users