Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Movie Maker Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:02 AM

Ok, my dad made me make a home video thingy of a family "get together" like a week ago, and he wants me to burn it to a CD and be able to view the movie as one big file on a DVD player of either a xbox/playstation2.

Okay, my first problem is that the files are in .avi format, and there are 2 files that are approximently 20-40minutes each. I tried importing the files into movie maker. Movie maker split up each of them into like 200 different clips (aproximently 20-35 seconds each). I then put them all back in order on the time line on the bottom, then when i went to export it (either with the opton to hard drive, net, cd, or camcorder) i keep getting an error stating that

paraphrase "check your destination files, and make sure they haven't been moved, also you may want to make sure your hard drive has enough free diskspace"

Well my hard drive has like 4 gigs left, and the project is only going to take like 356mb in total...

Can anybody help me?

I've also tried just burning the 2 files on a CD using the burner software that comes built into microsoft xp, and put it in my xbox and dvd player and i got "error, cannot recognize disc'

i've asked my video class teacher at school and she said, that there maybe a file size limit on movie maker. I don't kno if this is true, but if it is can someone please confirm this for me.

Also when I put this onto a CD do the files have to be in any special format to be recongize on a dvd player, my teacher said it would most likely have to be a mpeg/mpg for the dvd player or a wmv/mpeg/mpg for the xbox.

So if anyone can help me i would really appricate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:00 PM

I haven't done any video editing, but this site might be of help.
http://www.videohelp.com/convert
This page has articles, and guides, on different types of conversions.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Kal-EL

Kal-EL

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 26 March 2005 - 03:53 PM

I'm not sure about exporting, but when you import, there should be an option in one of the windows that says something like "create clips when finished" if you uncheck that, it won't make so many clips.

#4 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 26 March 2005 - 04:29 PM

MPG-2 (the Microsoft standard)is recorded at 4mb per sec-all of the recorded(newly formatted) material will have to be saved on hard-drive, then xffered to DVD or VCD. I believe that when Movie Maker (and other such programs) import video into the program they do not move the video data or copy it into the program, but just copy the addresses of the files and bring the data in as needed and when it finishes it then makes a new copy of the recompiled data for you to send to the DVD/CD drive. You have a memory shortage for what you are trying to accomlish (I believe). You might want to try "small"--separate about 5 minutes of your raw video(in a new file)--bring it into movie maker and make yourself a 5 minute VCD (video CD). --Good luck--not an easy task you are undertaking!! :flowers: :trumpet: :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#5 Matt169

Matt169

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:15 AM

"check your destination files, and make sure they haven't been moved, also you may want to make sure your hard drive has enough free diskspace"

i got a similar problem and decided to un-install it and reinstall it to see if that changed anything - some of the things i was trying to save were very small files, so if there is a limit then ... err well the file was about even less than 3mb. also just to make sure i try do a different movie still keeping the orginal files in place same error.

anyway

i go to download.com find it has movie maker download that and installs good but then when i try run it it says something along the lines of "windows is searching for 'moviemk.exe"

ok uninstall and try reinstall but again same problem occurs. i take it that the download may be missing some files?

anyway i have service pack 2 already and am also running firefox - i also looked for downloads for "windows movie maker" and results were thin lol

any suggestions? either as to what to do or other possible options where to download movie maker without being pointed in the direction of service pack 2 or download.com lol

#6 Matt169

Matt169

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:04 AM

update:

got movie maker back installed and running

but i still get the same error message

so instead of finding ways to get the software back on my pc

i tried saving a 500kb file and got same error message so i doubt the "check you have free space" is anywhere near true lmao

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users