Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Remove This Entry?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 harmless

harmless

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

Hi,

My "Problem Reporting and Solutions" has this block item in the Blocked List. But the thing is this item it greyed (for whatever reason I don't know) so I am unable to remove it from the Blocked List window. Is there a way to remove it?

Posted Image

I am using Vista 32-bit Home Premium.

Thanks

Edited by harmless, 15 April 2008 - 01:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:17 PM

Are you running as an Administrator or a Standard User? The screenshot that you posted shows that "some settings are managed by the System Administrator" and that's likely to be the problem.

Also, could it be that the file is still in use by Windows? If so, it could give an error (although I don't know if it would be the same error). If it's in use (check Task Manager...Processes tab), then I'd suggest killing the process to see if that helps.

Another possibility is that the program isn't compatible with Windows Vista. In that case, I'd suggest uninstalling it and getting a Vista compatible version.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 harmless

harmless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:29 AM

Are you running as an Administrator or a Standard User? The screenshot that you posted shows that "some settings are managed by the System Administrator" and that's likely to be the problem.

Also, could it be that the file is still in use by Windows? If so, it could give an error (although I don't know if it would be the same error). If it's in use (check Task Manager...Processes tab), then I'd suggest killing the process to see if that helps.

Another possibility is that the program isn't compatible with Windows Vista. In that case, I'd suggest uninstalling it and getting a Vista compatible version.

Thanks for the reply.

I am running on an Administrator account and I have tried right-clicking the "Problem Reporting and Solutions" and clicked "Run as Administrator" but the item is still greyed.

The file is actually Sun's OpenOffice. I already used a startup manager to delete the startup entry so it wasn't running when I visited the "Problem Reporting and Solutions". Anyway, I did a double check on the Task Manager and confirmed it wasn't running.

About compatibility now this one I am not so sure... How do I check for program compatibility? I can use OpenOffice programs with no problems. BTW, I tried uninstalling the program and the blocked item entry is still there...

What makes?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:41 AM

You'll have to scan the Sun website for information about the exact version that you installed and it's compatibility with Vista (which, I suspect, is the issue here). There are some issues that I've noted on the Sun.com website - see this link: http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/specs.jsp

The easiest thing to do would be to install the latest version of StarOffice with all the patches and see how that affects it. If it doesn't fix the issue, then we're in for a marathon of registry/file system diving to try and remove it manually.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 harmless

harmless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

You'll have to scan the Sun website for information about the exact version that you installed and it's compatibility with Vista (which, I suspect, is the issue here). There are some issues that I've noted on the Sun.com website - see this link: http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/specs.jsp

The easiest thing to do would be to install the latest version of StarOffice with all the patches and see how that affects it. If it doesn't fix the issue, then we're in for a marathon of registry/file system diving to try and remove it manually.

Thanks usasma...

I already checked the website and my system is definitely much better than the system requirement. I bought this laptop abt 6 months ago. ;p

I will try to update to the latest version of OpenOffice and see if that solves it and will post back here.

#6 harmless

harmless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:50 AM

I installed the latest version OpenOffice 2.4 but that doesn't solve the problem.

So is there a way to remove it manually?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:11 AM

There's actually 2 separate problems here:
1) The inability to remove the program from the Block List
2) The System Administrator managed message at the top of the window

This leads to a few questions:
1) Are you an Administrator on this system?
2) Are you the only user on this system?
3) Is there a domain/network that you're connected to that could be causing the message?
4) What security/antivirus/antispyware/tweaking utilities are you using?

#8 harmless

harmless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

There's actually 2 separate problems here:
1) The inability to remove the program from the Block List
2) The System Administrator managed message at the top of the window

This leads to a few questions:
1) Are you an Administrator on this system?
2) Are you the only user on this system?
3) Is there a domain/network that you're connected to that could be causing the message?
4) What security/antivirus/antispyware/tweaking utilities are you using?

OK, here...

1. Yes. I created one standard user account and one administrator account. I'm usually running my machine on admin account.

2. Yes, the only user.

3. No. Domain? I think it's not on a domain (I'm a home user, no network administrator) but I'm connecting to Internet using a wireless network.

4. Firewall: Comodo Firewall Pro 3
AV: AVG 7.5
Anti-Spyware: Spybot, Spyware Doctor
Others: ThreatFire

I should not think it's administrator issue. I thought that admin privileged message is displayed in all Vista OS?

#9 harmless

harmless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:25 PM

No one can offer any help?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users