Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart windows without restarting your pc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 22 July 2004 - 10:29 PM

Want to just restart windows without your whole pc? Heres a good tip
If you hold the Shift key down while clicking on SHUTDOWN button, your computer would restart without restarting the Computer. This is equivalent to term"HOT REBOOT".
For windows 98 just hold the shift key down when you click the ok button to restart. Also click restart not shutdown then hold shift. Im not sure how fast it works but its all according to your pc speed.

-Cowsgonemadd3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2004 - 09:49 AM

That is a very good tip. Here is one similar to it.

On my computer, I have shortcuts for both restart and shutdown...This way, I can just click either one, and walk away without me having to wait for applications to close. Here is how to do them. Sorry-only works on XP Home or Pro

Restart:
  • right-click desktop and select New->Shortcut
  • type this into the target box: %windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -r -t 01 (01 is time, in seconds)
  • name it and you are finished
Shutdown:
Similar to above, except change the -r switch to -s
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:41 AM

I have a post just like that. It also works on 98,me,2000,xp. Just look at my post about shutdown shortcuts for more. Im glad you liked my post. Have a good day!

Cowsgonemadd3

#4 systembolt

systembolt

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:18 AM

the idea of hot reboot is appealing to me as a real time saver but it didn't work for me. what am i doing wrong.
i use xp so i click start then turn off hold down shift and click turn off. the pc shuts down OS and all :thumbsup:
pls help out.

Edited by systembolt, 30 May 2009 - 04:18 AM.

#5 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

That is a very good tip. Here is one similar to it.

On my computer, I have shortcuts for both restart and shutdown...This way, I can just click either one, and walk away without me having to wait for applications to close. Here is how to do them. Sorry-only works on XP Home or Pro

Restart:

• right-click desktop and select New->Shortcut
  • type this into the target box: %windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -r -t 01 (01 is time, in seconds)
  • name it and you are finished
Shutdown:
Similar to above, except change the -r switch to -s

This works for Vista Home Premium too. I have used this on every computer I've had, 95, ME, Xp and now Vista.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#6 baloonparty

baloonparty

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

When windows restarts, Does it go through the entire process to boot up? Like having to pass through a BIOS-protected password?

#7 gamemaster1494

gamemaster1494

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:12 PM

I dont know... the typing in the text doesn't sound right..... I don't think it shuts down the computer like it should. it is like holding the power button for the computer, rather than going to start, turn off computer, shut down.... It isn't a good idea I think. i'll have to try the hold shift while clicking restart though. never knew that. =D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users