Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers Display Sites Incorrectly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 forrestmage

forrestmage

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

Hi! I'm having a problem with browsers displaying sites correctly. I get the same results with IE6, IE7, and Firefox2, haven't tried any others. I believe the problem to be in the registry as the person with this laptop before me messed with the registry (and didn't make a clean back-up). First the problem: It seems to be that all websites are given a white background rather than using the background that the site's code specifies. It also does this to mouse-hover tips. It also seams to "bleach out" anything in the outer borders (mostly ads but not always). The mouse over tips may be displayed in a transparent mode as it mangles the underlying text with the mouse over text so I can't read anything. As an example, take a look at www.worldofwarcraft.com and you will see a mostly black background and surrounding border. Also you will see links on both sides of the main "news" section. I can't see those links- it's all white. I don't see the main World of Warcraft graphic at the top- it's white. All I see is the "news" section. I can email screenshots if needed.

What I have tried: I tried resetting IE to default settings. I ran a Windows recovery, and also re-installed windows (without wiping data). I know I could wipe the whole thing but would rather not. I tried restoring to the earliest restore point available and got nothing. I replaced my i386 folder with the one on the windows install disk, and it didn't help. I ran multiple anti-virus apps (online and installed including Microsoft one care) as well as Spy-bot and Ad-Aware. I ran a registry tune up (RegScrubXP) and it "fixed" almost 200 entries but didn't affect my display problem. I've tried Googling an answer and haven't found anyone with my problem :thumbsup:

It's definitely annoying .and any help would be appreciated, thanks, aaron

Edit: I also tried registering the mshtml.dll and it failed with message "mshtml.dll was loaded but the Dllregisterserver entry point was not found"

Mod Edit: Personal email address removed to protect member privacy.~ TMacK

Edited by forrestmage, 15 April 2008 - 11:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hello forrestmage, Welcome to Bleeping Computer :thumbsup:

Hoping this is not a registry issue, please try the steps outlined in Firefoxes Websites Look Wrong.

Report back and we'll trouble shoot from there.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 forrestmage

forrestmage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

I'll be tickled pink.... at first none of that stuff was working until I ran into a step that had me uncheck the "use high contrast" checkbox in accessibility. That's all it was apparently.... I never would have though of that. Thanks!!!!!

P.S. this site is the shizzzz!!! I'll try to lend some tips too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users