Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator Rights For 1 Application

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bobo81

bobo81

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:32 AM

Hi

A user has a digital camera software which needs admin rights to work. I do not want to give him those rights.

Is there a way to give him the admin rights just for this 1 application?

He is running XP Professional 2003 btw.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:47 AM

I believe someone with administrator rights should install it for him. While logged on as him you right click on the setup file and do a run as and select administrator or network user and login as an administrator. He should still be able to use the software if someone else installed it. Either that give him administrator rights, let him install the software, then take the rights away.

#3 bobo81

bobo81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

Thanx but I think you misunderstood me.

I (admin) installed it for him. He does not have admin rights. For some strange reason when he opens the application it reads "you need admin privileges to run this program" or something like that.

I was wondering if there is a way or script of some sort that will give him admin rights for just this one program. I do not want to give him full admin rights.

Hope that helps.

#4 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

I (admin) installed it for him. He does not have admin rights. For some strange reason when he opens the application it reads "you need admin privileges to run this program" or something like that.

I was wondering if there is a way or script of some sort that will give him admin rights for just this one program. I do not want to give him full admin rights.

Hope that helps.

Ah yes I did misunderstand you. Not sure if this will work, but try right clicking on the program file folder in the program files directory, going to security tab and adding his user name as full control only to that directory.

Let me know if that work.

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:45 PM

Not likely. The problem is that the camera software needs access to the hardware to do it's job.

The fact that the program is specifically asking for admin rights, and not throwing up simple "Access is denied" messages, indicates that the program needs to be run as an admin user.

Does the camera appear as a drive letter when it is plugged in?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

I'd suggest the Windows Steady State tool for this, but am unsure of it's specific abilities. Here's a link with info on it: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ss/default.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:34 PM

Not likely. The problem is that the camera software needs access to the hardware to do it's job.

The fact that the program is specifically asking for admin rights, and not throwing up simple "Access is denied" messages, indicates that the program needs to be run as an admin user.

Billy3

I get what you are saying, but you realize those error message have been coded, by a human, so thats not to say they couldn't have used an error message "needs to run as an administrator" because they detected he didn't have write access. I agree with you in most cases thats what it should mean, but you never know what the software developer was thinking and it was worth a shot to try.

#8 bobo81

bobo81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hope that helps.

Ah yes I did misunderstand you. Not sure if this will work, but try right clicking on the program file folder in the program files directory, going to security tab and adding his user name as full control only to that directory.

Let me know if that work.

I never thought of this actually. I guess I will try it for the heck of it. Thanx.

#9 bobo81

bobo81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

Billy3

No the camera doesnt appear as a drive letter. You connect the camera to a PC and open that particular software to retrieve the pics and stuff.

I can't remember but I recall there being a way to write some script or write something in the program path which could give admin access but I forgot..any clues?

#10 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:22 PM

I can't remember but I recall there being a way to write some script or write something in the program path which could give admin access but I forgot..any clues?

You could use the runas command and a batch file, but if you do this, you have to change the batch file whenever your password changes, and your password is stored in ClearText, so this is not really a secure option. Opening the batch file in notepad gives up the password.....
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\User>runas
RUNAS USAGE:

RUNAS [ [/noprofile | /profile] [/env] [/netonly] ]
		/user:<UserName> program

RUNAS [ [/noprofile | /profile] [/env] [/netonly] ]
		/smartcard [/user:<UserName>] program

/noprofile		specifies that the user's profile should not be loaded.
					 This causes the application to load more quickly, but
					 can cause some applications to malfunction.
   /profile		  specifies that the user's profile should be loaded.
					 This is the default.
   /env			  to use current environment instead of user's.
   /netonly		  use if the credentials specified are for remote
					 access only.
   /savecred		 to use credentials previously saved by the user.
					 This option is not available on Windows XP Home Edition
					 and will be ignored.
   /smartcard		use if the credentials are to be supplied from a
					 smartcard.
   /user			 <UserName> should be in form USER@DOMAIN or DOMAIN\USER
   program		 command line for EXE.  See below for examples

Examples:
> runas /noprofile /user:mymachine\administrator cmd
> runas /profile /env /user:mydomain\admin "mmc %windir%\system32\dsa.msc"
> runas /env /user:user@domain.microsoft.com "notepad \"my file.txt\""

NOTE:  Enter user's password only when prompted.
NOTE:  USER@DOMAIN is not compatible with /netonly.
NOTE:  /profile is not compatible with /netonly.

C:\Documents and Settings\User>

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#11 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:35 PM

Hello guys.

To the OP: If you need help writing the script, I'm sure one of us would be glad to help.

If the password showing is a problem, you could use Batch to Exe Converter.

So basically, make the batch script, convert it, and delete the batch script. This also lets you choose an icon for the new .exe file :thumbsup:. As you might know, if you open a exe with notepad, you see alot of nothingness.

I use this tool when I don't want my scripts copied and have the credit taken.

With Regards,
The Panda

#12 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:05 PM

removed

pst...I don't think we should give people any ideas for this kind of thing.

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 16 April 2008 - 04:28 PM.

Posted Image

#13 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

Hello.

pst...I don't think we should give people any ideas for this kind of thing.

Arg... :thumbsup: This is getting more complitcated than I would have thought. You could set permissions on that new file to prevent editing, and write protect and all that jazz. It would be really hard to make it so that the user can run the file, but not copy it.

Anyone else have a simpler idea?

With Regards
The Panda

Edited by PropagandaPanda, 16 April 2008 - 04:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users