Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winme Hijacked

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 -woody-

-woody-

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:08 AM

Some friends asked me to help with their computer, it's a dell running Win98 ME. The desktop and icons have been replaced, the icons on the new desktop do not work. The start button does not function. IE will not start, getting into programs through the tool bar doesn't work, I can start a scan disk but it loops, never going beyond 5% before restarting, same thing with defrag. They have Norton installed but it won't start. They use dial up but their dial up connection is no longer there and it won't let me create a new one.A couple of things I tried gave me the warning that I needed administrative rights to proceed.

What I've done so far, tried scan disk, disk defrag, a million other things, finally pulled their hard drive out, switched it to slave, threw it into one of my old computers and ran a couple of virus detectors including Mcaffee online and Norton, no viruses found.
I guess the only way I could install a program is to put their hard drive back into my machine, place the program on their hard drive, put their hard drive back into their computer, start in safe mode and install. Any help anyone can give me would be most appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:52 AM

When working on such an old computer I have to ask myself, even after I fix the malware, was it time to do a clean install anyway?, those old operating systems weren't very stable.

I have worked for hours on a windows xp machine, then run a repair disk(not a clean install)
4 hours later it's still broken and I end up having to reload everything anyway
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

if you mean win 98 SE computer, could you try slaving it again and run both superantispyware and a squared on it

can you tell us what exactly tests you HAVE run on it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users