Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keeps Freezing Up In Xp

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 psychoanalyst

psychoanalyst

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

My computer starts up normally. Then I have the option to click on 1 of our 3 user names. After I select any user name, it will act as if the page is loading. My screensaver will be there, the Start bar is over to the left, and the time is over to the right but none of my icons on the desktop ever show up. If I click on Start, it will allow me to then click on My Computer, etc......then I get an error message stating "Microsoft Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. Then it freezes up. I can't get any further than that. Is there something I can do in Safe Mode for System Restore? I can get to Safe Mode but don't know what to do from there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 psychoanalyst

psychoanalyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

I made it to the System Restore option in Safe Mode. I click on "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and now it's frozen....again. So that's not working either.

#3 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

Hello Psychoanalyst. Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Before we try anything, could I get the exact error message that you recieved? Are you sure that it was not:
Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

With Regards,
The Panda

#4 psychoanalyst

psychoanalyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:20 PM

No. It wasn't that error message. It said "Microsoft Explorer." I'd never seen that one before. I have to run out for a bit. When I get home, I'll try to duplicate the error message and post it word for word. Thanks so much.

#5 psychoanalyst

psychoanalyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:20 PM

Here's the error message: at the top of the box it says "Microsoft Explorer" then the message says "Microsoft Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. If you were in the middle of something, the info. you were working on might be lost. Please tell Microsoft about this problem." Then it gives you the option to send an error report. I clicked on a find more info. button and it said "Error signature InPageError P1:c000009c and p2:00000003. And now a new box popped up: at the top it said "Windows- Delayed Write Failed....Windows was unable to save all the data for the file....Please try to save this file elsewhere." I have no idea why that popped up.

Edited by psychoanalyst, 14 April 2008 - 08:26 PM.

#6 psychoanalyst

psychoanalyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

While in safe mode, a blue screen with white writing just popped up. It said, " a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent further damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk fragmentation, or back-up utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer."

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:38 PM

psycho -- did you get to run chkdsk /f ?
Delayed Write Failed makes me think its a hard drive failure. download diagnostic utility from drive manufacturers web site and test drive

Edited by caperdog, 14 April 2008 - 09:52 PM.

#8 psychoanalyst

psychoanalyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:41 PM

I'm not sure how to run chkdsk/f. Can you elaborate on downloading the diagnostic utility? I'm not the least bit of a computer expert.

#9 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:59 AM

start --> run --> chkdsk/f (safe or normal mode)
go to device manager to see what drive you have
go to go to work
later

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:34 AM

Alternative ways of running chkdsk:

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

FWIW (more info about chkdsk than you ever wanted): Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users