Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Os Copy On Factory Notebook

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cbm550

cbm550

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:50 PM

I recently purchased an HP notebook with Windows Vista. I have no recovery or OS disks. Can I burn a copy of the OS and recovery disk from the recovery partition?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:55 PM

The HP should have prompted you to make recovery disks. If not, go to Recovery Manager in the Start Menu and create them from there. Worst case, you can order a set from HP for about $20 US
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 cbm550

cbm550
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:14 AM

Thanks. Will that include the OS on that?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:56 AM

Yes it will. FYI - I haven't had good luck with the recovery CD's made on some HP's. I'd make sure to test them after you make them to ensure that they will work.

FWIW - If, when the computer initially boots, you get an option for System Recovery in the lower right corner of the screen - you can restore the computer from there without disks (as long as the hard drive is still good). If the System Recovery thing doesn't show, then you MUST have the recovery disks in order to launch the System Recovery program.

If you've got the disks from HP, you won't need anything except for the disks.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 cbm550

cbm550
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info. How do you test the disks, though? Also on the recovery console, I must have overlooked it but is the disk creater on the main page?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:32 PM

Well, you test the disks by actually doing a restore with them. Rather than doing an actual restore, I'd suggest starting the restore and exiting before it starts to make changes to your drive.

Recovery Console is a tool for repairing some problems with Windows XP installations, the equivalent in Vista is the Recovery Environment and the Startup Repair function. The Recovery Manager is a listing in your Start Menu. Go to Start...All Programs, and scroll down the list to the R's where you should find the Recovery Manager/Management. If it's not there, I'd suggest looking in the different HP folders in the Start Menu.

#7 cbm550

cbm550
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:21 PM

Thank you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users