Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple TCP\IP Service not needed .

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:03 AM

I know I am suppose to ask a question , but I learned something today that I could not find on a search of the internet . It may exist , but I could not find it . I had a problem in the passed few days , where XP would stay at 60% CPU usage . It would spike to 100% every few minutes for a few minutes then fall back to 60% CPU load . I started with a Google search with no results . Then I researched what this service did . All I could find out was it does not install by default with windows install , and it is meant to support part of UNIX . I felt if it was not a default compontent XP could function without it . I was right . My CPU load has drop to 3 to 5% at idle and I very seldom peak 50% load . Also my memory usage went from 320mb to 240mb . I obtained these number from the TASK MANAGER .
I am sure this is not new information for you old salts , but the less experience user may benifit . With all this said here is the solution I found .

This will disable the service , NOT uninstall it .

START>CONTROL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS>SERVICES
Locate Simple TCP/IP Services ,then right click . Select Properties .
In the properties page select the STARTUP TYPE drop down box and select disable
Click Apply , OK and the problem is over .

If you find you need this service repeat the steps above and select AUTOMATIC .
Hope this helps .
This infomation should use with caution , and at your own risk . Since I do not know you system I cannot say how it will effect it , and as such am not responible for the changes you make . Sorry about the disclaimer , but I felt it was worth stating .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:16 PM

Don't be sorry about a disclaimer, acklan. Services are like the registry, always use caution in this area.

In this case I think it is a bad idea to disable this service. Instead, set it to Manual. That way it will run when needed.

I am not an old salt but I have to say that I was shocked to see that disabling TCP/IP service allowed you access to the internet. Til I looked at the services on my own machine. All I have is TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service.

Then looking for information on the net for the whole name of the service TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper I found this from a trusted site:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/tcp_ip_netbios_helper.htm

It's called a relic, but the recommendation is to set it to manual and see the comments further down the page. Some people will have problems with this service disabled.

But you say the service you disabled is Simple TCP\IP. That's not generally installed by default, so I'm wondering why it's running for you. More information for anyone that's interested--

How to install Simple TCP\IP and what it's for:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/us...pTcpInstall.asp

BlackViper's recommendation:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

Looks like it might be OK to disable, but I think I would set it to manual til you find out why it got installed in the first place.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll set mine to manual and see if I can save some CPU cycles.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the post. Sorry if I made if sound like I did all of this in to days I actually stopped the process for 3 days, then when it showed no ill effects I disabled it. You are right . I have gotten bit by deleting items before I knew how they interacted with the rest of my system. I am just glad it was not the Trojan I was reading about. That would have been a real pain. Thanks for the insight Papakid.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users