Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incorrect Password

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bulldog

Bulldog

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:33 PM

I have a problem with two computers recognizing each other on a network through my server. One is \\receptionist using MS XP the other is \\tim using MS 2000. Both can see \\server. \\receptionist can see \\tim. \\tim CAN NOT see \\receptionist. When attempting to connect to \\receptionist from \\tim it says "enter network password" in the box title. inside the box it says Incorrect password or unknown username for: \\receptionist. then it has two boxes the first being Connect as: then below that it says Password:. There is no password that I am aware of. I have went to \\receptionist and changed the password on the computer. I tried to set up a network connection. it gives you the option to save to a disk a network .exe file. I used this option the last time and it tells you to take it to all the computers on you network and use this file to establish a connection. On the pc \\tim it is running MS 2000 and it states ithe network setup wizard can not be used on my computer.

any clues?
bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, I couldn't figure it out either.
bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

Are your machines setup in a Workgroup topology or a Domain topology?

It makes a difference. You may try creating the same User Account on all machines in all networked computers. If you are using a Workgroup topology, each User Account should use the username and password combination to login on each machine. Also, you will want to make sure that each User Account is a member of the same Local Goup on each machine.

Chances are with only three systems on your network you are probably using a Workgroup toplogy. As such, you will need to put the same User Accounts, with the same access, on each and every machine in your network.

Workgroups do not utilize a central Domain Controller to authenticate each User Account on each machine on the network. Therefore, in a Workgroup topology, if you don't setup the same User Accounts, with the same user credentials (username/password) on each machine, you may have a conflict in access to other machines on your network.

Provide more information and post feedback.

Edited by Cyb3r_Ninj@, 14 May 2008 - 09:49 PM.

Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users