Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting A Harddrive..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CheckNerd

CheckNerd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:21 PM

hiya peeps! I wanted to know if i could format a hard drive with bad sectors.. Is it possible?How?
Nobody is perfect & I'm Nobody.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

Every hard drive has bad sectors...formatting takes place in the ordinary, usual way.

Formatting (or anything else) does not "cure" bad sectors, it just works around them, just as chkdsk does.

When sufficient bad sectors become such a problem that routine hard drive operations are not possible, the drive should be considered unuseable, IMO.

Bad Sectors On Hard Drives - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...1583&page=3

Louis

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

i have had some success with a low level format. go to drive manufacturers web site and download their diagnostic tools. it will create bootable floppy . boot from floppy and re-write disk with 0's. read instructions carefully and make sure you have selected the right drive. it may take a few attempts to clear all bad sectors. remember the drive is wearing out so don't trust it with data you want to keep.

#4 CheckNerd

CheckNerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:55 AM

Thanks guys for the much needed help :thumbsup:
Nobody is perfect & I'm Nobody.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users