Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Removing Wpclsp.dll From Lsp Stack

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Evenstar1981

Evenstar1981

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

I did a search for a topic along these lines but did not find any, so if this is a duplicate I apologize. I am posting this information on behalf of someone else so I will make this as clear as possible.

Basically, I need to remove Wpclsp.dll from the LSP stack. I am aware that this is linked to Vista Parental Controls and not normally something in the stack that would be a problem. The problem is that this file conflicts with another program the computer (Covenant Eyes). I know this isn't one of the default Vista LSP stack files and was most likely added when Parental Controls were turned on. However, those are now turned off on all Windows user accounts but this file remains. Resetting the stack (netsh winsock reset) or removing it manually (through a program like LSPfix) does not help because the file is put back in the stack when the computer starts up again. We've tried turning Parental Controls back on and then off again to see if this would change anything, but it did not.

I believe there must be a normal way to remove this file by either changing a Windows setting or perhaps editing the registry. If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Is there a service in Vista that controls this by any chance? If so, I wonder if disabling it would make any difference. I don't have access to a Vista machine at the moment. Just a thought I had.

Scott

Edited by Evenstar1981, 14 April 2008 - 01:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

From this link ( http://www.covenanteyes.com/help_and_suppo...h_windows_vista ) I'd suggest uninstalling Covenant Eyes, then turning Parental Controls off, then reinstall Covenant Eyes (rebooting between each step "just in case").
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Evenstar1981

Evenstar1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for your reply!

Actually CE is uninstalled at the moment. I work for Covenant Eyes in tech support so we've tried everything else in terms of troubleshooting.

The way CE works is that you need to be logged into the program to have Internet access, which is why there are files for it in the LSP stack. Sometimes if something else is installed in the stack it will cause conflicts. In this case, it is that one file thats causing problems. Normally once parental controls are turned off the problem is gone and thats the end of it. This is the first time I've ever seen this problem. Once we get that file out it should be fine, but since its a Windows file, Windows will put it back after a restart the computer if we remove it.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:46 PM

Too bad, my next suggestion was to be contacting Covenant Eyes tech support! :huh:

From the FAQ's

Covenant Eyes is designed to be extremely difficult to disable or bypass.

I would suggest talking to the folks in the Development department for a fix for this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users