Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User.conf (router Config Backup File) Displayed In Browser


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Soul_Traveler

Soul_Traveler

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:12 AM

Hello, I am seriously exausted from trying to figure this one out.

When I try to download my Belkin routers user.conf backup file, it gets displayed in the browser and the yellow activex bar thing doesn't prompt me like on my other PC's which work fine and WILL download the user.conf file just fine.

So, I am sure something is wrong with my installation or windows or IE7.

I have tried tons of ideas and I still cannot get it to work, and I think that it affecting more than just this one specific problem.

If anyone has any ideas that I can try, I would greatly appreciate the help as this one has me beat lol.


Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Edited by Soul_Traveler, 14 April 2008 - 11:12 AM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


m

#2 usasma

usasma

    Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad


  • BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southeastern CT, USA
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

Where are you downloading this file from? Your own computer/router - or from the Belkin website?
Have you tried another browser (such as Firefox, Opera, or Safari)?
What other issues are you experiencing? Could you be infected with malware? Try a few of these free, online scans to see:

Be advised that some of these scanners will pickup things in "quarantine" from other anti-virus programs - so review the results carefully:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp
http://onlinescan.avast.com/
http://ca.com/us/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

<links compiled on 02/14/2008>
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Soul_Traveler

Soul_Traveler
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

Yeah, I have done alot of sp3 installs/uninstalls and stuff like that, so I have had various issues but I have fixed them all problems I had except for this one.

I am downloading it directly from my router, but like I said, I have no problems with other PC's on my home network, and yes I have tried Firefox as well, and I get the same issue, but I have not tried Firefox on the other PC's, just IE6 and IE7 and they work fine, just not on this PC.

So, I have a feeling there is something wrong with my Windows installation itself.

Here is what I have doen so far:

Uninstalled SP3, still same problem

Reinstalled SP3....same problem

Installed SP2 after I uninstalled SP3 to see if it would replace some broken files..didn't work.
Did a repair of XP with the XP CD (not and in-place install, as that would have made me have to reinstall all of my programs, but may have corrected the problem)

Uninstalled all updates lol and then reinstalled them, and then SP2 and then SP3, checking each time if the problem was solved, but it never was.

I use Tuneup Utilities and I may have somehwere along the way deleted some with that as well, not sure.

Um...I will try some of the scans, but I had SpyBot and Avast the whole time so I doubt that I am infected, however, I had been infected once about 2 months ago when I installed something I downloaded, so maybe something went wrong then too...hard to say...I mean, I know if I reformat, it will be gone, but I have too many programs installed to want to do that and it's such an insignificant problem, not even worth it, I was just hoping someone might have an idea here that I could try to get it to download again...maybe like a registry setting or re-registering a .dll er something :thumbsup:

Pain in the butt!


Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Edited by Soul_Traveler, 14 April 2008 - 12:46 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users